building a flatbed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building a flatbed

I have a 97 silverado 1500 that going to be my service truck. I'm building my own flat bed 7' wide & 8' long. I'll be hauling a bobcat welder air compressor torch set & a toolbox up above. Now what the best material to build the frame out off. I'm thinking of 4" channel perimeter. Think I can get away with 1/8" thick. & 1/8" diamond plate. For the skinning ?
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Watch your weight that 1/2ton will get overloaded real quick.I suggest 3" perimeter 2" cross braces 16"oc 11ga. skin.Keep it light.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Your 1500 will get overloaded quickly. I would suggest a 2500 at least or a trailer. If you are intent on doing this I would at least get a set of air bag helpers for the rear.

4" channel is overkill, go as light as you can. Don't forget it will be bolted to the truck frame so that will give it strength also.

Do a search on here for welding rigs, lots of threads & pics. Here is one.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...t=welding+rigs
      Last edited by MMW; 08-23-2012, 04:37 AM.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

3" channel, with 1.5" angle for the ribs/crossmembers. you could deck it with 2x lumber using that size crossmember, just can't use it as a heavy duty work table too. You'd need a slide out metal plate or a portable workbench.

If you skin it with steel diamond plate, I wouldn't use anything thicker than 1/8". It might still be too heavy. Figure out the weight of the finished bed, your tools, and check this against the payload for the truck. You also need to check and make sure that your rear axle can handle it's share of the weight. I'd be careful towing anything if you have a bunch of weight on the rear axle. At best you'll wear out the truck faster than normal.

If you have the capability, aluminum channel and skin would be better on that size truck. But that's costly and you need the right tools and know-how.

Originally posted by eecervantes83 View Post
        I have a 97 silverado 1500 that going to be my service truck. I'm building my own flat bed 7' wide & 8' long. I'll be hauling a bobcat welder air compressor torch set & a toolbox up above. Now what the best material to build the frame out off. I'm thinking of 4" channel perimeter. Think I can get away with 1/8" thick. & 1/8" diamond plate. For the skinning ?
        Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
        www.bensonmobilewelding.com
        Serving the Dayton, Cincinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas

Comment

Working...
        X