Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

building a flatbed

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building a flatbed

I have a 97 silverado 1500 that going to be my service truck. I'm building my own flat bed 7' wide & 8' long. I'll be hauling a bobcat welder air compressor torch set & a toolbox up above. Now what the best material to build the frame out off. I'm thinking of 4" channel perimeter. Think I can get away with 1/8" thick. & 1/8" diamond plate. For the skinning ?

Watch your weight that 1/2ton will get overloaded real quick.I suggest 3" perimeter 2" cross braces 16"oc 11ga. skin.Keep it light.

Comment

Your 1500 will get overloaded quickly. I would suggest a 2500 at least or a trailer. If you are intent on doing this I would at least get a set of air bag helpers for the rear.

4" channel is overkill, go as light as you can. Don't forget it will be bolted to the truck frame so that will give it strength also.

Do a search on here for welding rigs, lots of threads & pics. Here is one.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...t=welding+rigs
      Last edited by MMW; 08-23-2012, 04:37 AM.

Comment

3" channel, with 1.5" angle for the ribs/crossmembers. you could deck it with 2x lumber using that size crossmember, just can't use it as a heavy duty work table too. You'd need a slide out metal plate or a portable workbench.

If you skin it with steel diamond plate, I wouldn't use anything thicker than 1/8". It might still be too heavy. Figure out the weight of the finished bed, your tools, and check this against the payload for the truck. You also need to check and make sure that your rear axle can handle it's share of the weight. I'd be careful towing anything if you have a bunch of weight on the rear axle. At best you'll wear out the truck faster than normal.

If you have the capability, aluminum channel and skin would be better on that size truck. But that's costly and you need the right tools and know-how.

Originally posted by eecervantes83 View Post
        I have a 97 silverado 1500 that going to be my service truck. I'm building my own flat bed 7' wide & 8' long. I'll be hauling a bobcat welder air compressor torch set & a toolbox up above. Now what the best material to build the frame out off. I'm thinking of 4" channel perimeter. Think I can get away with 1/8" thick. & 1/8" diamond plate. For the skinning ?

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.