Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Mig welder off a generator

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Mig welder off a generator

I'm going to be making a small trailer and put my stick or Mig welder on the trailer. I also need a generator to run the welder. I seem to be working on a great deal of farm equipment lately and need to take the welder into the fields to do the work. Do I need a certain kind of generator to run a 220 welder. How many watts does the group suggest.

Also does anyone have plans for a small trailer or has any thoughts on the axil and wheel set up..

You forgot to tell us WHICH welders you want the ability to power... That's the most important part to consider.

Consider one of these instead, maybe:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/champion4500.html

Comment

Sorry about that, I will be using a Miller 200 or my Lincolin 225 (I think that's it). Both are 220 volt machines. I'm looking for a larger Miller stick welder to buy, but it will be a 220 volt machine.

Comment

Check your owner's manuals, or else I have to, to see what the amp draws are of your machines.

But roughly, assuming you want close to full power from these machines:

I'll assume you mean a Millermatic 200. This needs about a 50A 240V supply for full power. That's on the order of at least a 10kW generator, without doing any math in my head, to get MOST of that available.

Same with the Lincoln. I'll assume you meant the AC225 as that is a popular Stick machine.

You can power these machines from ANY generator that supplies 240V, but you'll be limited in output up to what the generator can supply in wattage.

What do you plan to need to weld mobile?

Comment

I did some work for a couple of friends who have a small farm near where I live. Since then I have had numerous calls from other farmer in my area who want equipment welded up. Some of the implements are pretty good size and difficult to move to my house for the repairs. If I build a trailer and can run a couple of different welders off a generator than I can make shorttime of the fix.

Comment

So since you need a generator anyway that can support a welding machine, why not get an engine-driven welding machine that doubles as a generator? The welding power will be more efficient and the whole package will be lighter since there won't be a transformer involved.

Comment

I thought about that, but the cost would be very expensive. I have been looking around for a good used one, but nothing yet. With a generator/welder I would rather go with a new one instead of taking a chance on an older one with a tired motor. I was considering selling the Millermatic 200 to make some extra cash to buy a new generator/welder.
              Last edited by gearhead; 06-27-2006, 04:19 AM. Reason: lack of information

Comment

If you're going to tell us something is too expensive, you can help us out by telling us your budget.

The Hobart welder/generator I linked in post #2 costs $1200 brand new and shipped to your door with no sales tax.

Comment

Around the $1,500 mark, I was not aware that Hobart had one that cheap. I was looking at Miller or Lincolin...

Comment

For that size machine, the Hobart is basically the same thing as a Miller; you know they are the same parent company, right?

I think it solves both of your problems and leaves you a little money left over:
                    Last edited by envano; 01-29-2007, 02:28 PM. Reason: Invalid Link

Comment

Thanks for the information. I just talked to a Miller sales rep just to get some information about the welder/generators. The sales rep did his best to talk me into a Bobcat 225 (I belive it was) for around $2,600. I mentioned the Hobart but he just kept coming back to the Bobcat 225, best in the county you know the pitch. I like Miller but to much money in this case. Going to sell my Millermatic 200 and put the money toward the Hobart.

MAC702 thanks for your help in this decision. I will let you know what I do.....steve

Comment

Bluestar 6000

I have a Miller Bluestar 6000. This is a great machine. They no longer call it this, but I believe the new model is basically the same thing. It will only supply 30Amps on the 220 outlet. It does have 6000 watts though. I run my 110v mig, a small contractors compressor when I need to run my plasma.

Comment

helpfull math

I hope I can add a little help in the form of some math, most generators list themselves by their surge and running watts, and most welders talk about Amps and voltage. You can figure out your compatability through the simple equation: Watts = volts X Amps

So a Millermatic 175 with a 220 voltage and a 20 amp draw would need a 4400 running (not surge) watt generator.

Remember surge amps are just to get things going if you try to run the surge rated draw off a generator for too long and you'll fry it all.

The equation also doesn't take into account and ressistance loss, so give yourself some "room" and buy a generator of greater capacity than exactly what the equation works out to.

PS the equation also works in reverse, I used to be in the professional lighting buisness and this is how we figured out how many lights we could plug in before tripping breakers Watts (total wattage of all lights on a circuit) divided by 110volts = the size circuit breaker that better be in the breaker pannel.

2000 (20 one hundred watt light bulbs in a strip light) / 110 volts = 18.18 amps so a 20 amp breaker should hold and allow for a little safety space.

Comment

Just to make your math a little more accurate, use 120V and 240V, as these are what these generators actually produce in most all cases.

Also, you shoot for 80% loading, so if you have 2000W available, you try to only load it to 1600W, as a general rule.

Comment

WHAT U TAKE 4 THE 200mm

Originally posted by gearhead
                              Thanks for the information. I just talked to a Miller sales rep just to get some information about the welder/generators. The sales rep did his best to talk me into a Bobcat 225 (I belive it was) for around $2,600. I mentioned the Hobart but he just kept coming back to the Bobcat 225, best in the county you know the pitch. I like Miller but to much money in this case. Going to sell my Millermatic 200 and put the money toward the Hobart.

MAC702 thanks for your help in this decision. I will let you know what I do.....steve
                              Hi, I was wondering what shape your MM200 is in and what is the least you would take for it?
                              I've been looking for a good one that I can afford.
                              Thanks, Farris

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.