Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAD program called SKETCHUP 8 & home projects

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAD program called SKETCHUP 8 & home projects

Did a search on CAD programs but didn't find as much activity as I'd expect. I've been searching for a good program that would suit my needs and found Google Sketchup 8.
    A free program, however I liked it enough to buy the Pro program. I used to play with other cad programs before including the King of all programs called Autocad. However, I'm not designing the Space Shuttle.

It's a lot of fun being able to design your project on the computer before building it. I'm in the process of learning the program, and have found that Youtube, and other support groups are awesome for this program.

Attached is a jpg export picture of a metal cabinet I'm building/welding to fit on top of my toolbox.
    Attached Files

I love it too, much simpler than autocad and also wayyyy cheaper.

good for shop layout and calculating angles of future projects, i do not feel like going back to chalk drawings on the shop floor. ;o)

Comment

CAD program called SKETCHUP 8 & home projects

Used to be a free program called heekscad. Maybe it's dot org or dot net. It was pretty good about 5 yrs ago. It is also open source and free.

Comment

Big fan of cadopia. Took me a bit to catch on but its all I use now. AND ITS FREE

Comment

I see Sketchup pro can generate a .dwg or .dxf file for having a part cut? Have you used that feature yet?
          Last edited by jimmy_pop; 08-18-2012, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy_pop View Post
            I see Sketchup pro can generate a .dwg or .dxf file for having a part cut? Have you used that feature yet?
            No, haven't used that feature. But it's nice to know. Still in the beginning stages of learning the program.

Comment

I'm thinking i want to download the free Sketchup 8 program. What is the latest version? Also, there are so many places to download it from. Are they all the same? Do they have an official site?
              Nick

Comment

Go to Google and get it from the source. Sketchup 8 is the latest version.

Once the Google page is open just search for Sketchup and it will take you to the right place to download it.

For learning, there is a site called sketchupforwoodworkers.com that offers great training videos free online. Although the site name implies that it is just for woodworkers it really does well for what we make too. Both Sketchup and this training site are free, so try them out.

Charley

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.