Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tractor Pick Ax - for a guy with a weak back

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor Pick Ax - for a guy with a weak back

One of my first projects with my Millermatic 252. This was made with 3" wide 1/4" thick angle.

Since I need a lot of practice with my new equipment, I used my Spectrum 625 X-treme plasma cutter which worked superbly.

I like to think outside the box when coming up with these crazy guizmo's for my tractor. But it works good enough to save on my back. The wife can do the digging....... LOL. Glad she doesn't visit here.

Here's a video of it's performace in very hard ground. Sorry for the long boring segments. Haven't figures out how to crop videos on YouTube yet. (If you can)

http://youtu.be/zGMfy1kKaEI

Name:  e0892b8214a770b2f6d037f9143f51f7.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  184.8 KB

Geez - are you sure that isnt concrete?
    Our ground is going to be like that pretty soon if we don't get some rain!

Looks good - great idea!

Comment

Your going to break the bottom of your bucket doing that

You did notice the amount of bending and flexing it was doing in the video

A single ripper shank type design would create less resistance in the ground ang putting on a heavier duty cutting edge would be a start

but the bucket floor is flexing a lot also

maybe another piece of cutting edge behind the cutting edge or some re-enforcement like that to stiffen the bucket floor...and yes i will make the bucket heavier but something must be done or it will fail like it is

I have a B7800 with fel that i am hard on too

Comment

Originally posted by killdozerd11 View Post
        Your going to break the bottom of your bucket doing that

You did notice the amount of bending and flexing it was doing in the video

A single ripper shank type design would create less resistance in the ground ang putting on a heavier duty cutting edge would be a start

but the bucket floor is flexing a lot also

maybe another piece of cutting edge behind the cutting edge or some re-enforcement like that to stiffen the bucket floor...and yes i will make the bucket heavier but something must be done or it will fail like it is

I have a B7800 with fel that i am hard on too
        I was thinking that as well - I think a bolt in plate to stiffen everything up would help. Sorry for the crude drawing but this is what I was thinking...Name:  032ae878af5a2c057b367bae0970ff61.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  50.8 KB

Comment

Yea, I noticed that flexing in the video too. Agreed, will have to do some work on that.
          Or go easier on the downward rocking motion. I was hitting it pretty hard for the video.

Comment

I'm glad Killdozerd11 brought that issue up. Went back and watched the video a couple more times, and I bet the floor of that bucket flexed at least an inch. Back to work, thanks for the observations and suggestions.

Comment

yeah its flexing.

Comment

Some good ideas there. I haven't seen the video since I'm still on dial-up and that effectively makes youtube a no play zone. From what people are saying though I would weld a couple of 1/2 or 5/8 plates maybe 6 inches wide and long enough to lap the cylinder attachment brackets (by an inch or so each way)to the inside of the bucket opposite the cylinder mounting positions. Weld a bracket to these new plates to attach braces (bolted) that run to as close to the front of your pick axe mount as you can reasonably. Since the down pressure is ultimately provide by the bucket cylinders this should, I think, take most of the bucket out of the stress zone. If I have missed something by not seeing the video to see how you are using it and this is completely out in left field feel free to ignore it.
                Again not having seen the video to see how you are using this tool I'm guessing that you are ripping up soil? If so you might want to consider for your next project to take the bucket out of the equation and build a direct mount ripper or maybe better still a rear mounted ripper. Just thought. Good luck.
                Meltedmetal

Comment

I think the idea behind this is for planting trees and such
                  I think that he wants to rip a very small area not a whole planter

Truth be said this is really a job for a single shank on a backhoe but he probably doesn't have one so he wants to just do a mod to his fel and they do make a small shovel type attachment that goes on the cutting edge of a loader bucket

But i don't know how well it would work in his situation

You can look them up here and maybe get some suggestion from some others about what your trying to do

http://www.tractorbynet.com

Worth a look anyway

Comment

device purpose

All I really need is something to easily break the hard ground for digging a hole the size of a five gallon bucket for the purpose of planting trees, or other plants. Beats the heck out of a manual pick ax.

After reading all the suggestions, I've got an idea for reinforcing the bucket which will eliminate the flex. I'll post it when I get it finished in a few days.

In the mean time, I think I'll go real easy on the bucket if I need to use the device.
                    Between the steel and high grade 8 bolts & nuts (which are no longer high grade since I welded on them) my cost is up to a small $55 bucks. Not too bad a cost for an experiment. (Unless of course I trash my bucket)

Comment

I vote to attach your current bucket mounted axe to the 3 point hitch! You will break something expensive. Good job on the fab though just need to refine it now

Comment

If this was full time work related and not (I suspect) a personal somewhat limited project I'd suggest purchase/rent a 3 point hitch mounted post hole auger with probably 14 inch screw especially if the tractor 3 point hitch has down pressure or a loader mounted hydraulic drive to get the down pressure since the soil is apparently very hard. But I suspect that kind of money would present an obstacle or at the very least take the fun out of it.
                        That said it occurred to me that it might be more prudent to mount the pick straight out of the bucket or under it parallel to the floor of the of the bucket so that rather than prying on the front edge of the bucket the pressure would be straight back on the hinge pins of the bucket(have to turn the bucket straight down to use) And if you add a couple of short spikes on either side you can move round bales of hay in your spare time. I have found in the past that old drive axles from rear wheel drive cars and trucks(depends how big a spike you need) work good for stuff similar to this and if they are damaged they are pretty much the price of scrap if you can find a place working on trucks.
                        Meltedmetal

Comment

My 3 point hitch does not have down hydraulic pressure. I thought about the auger that would run off the PTO, but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the expense....
                          And like you said, it's all about the fun of the project. I'm looking for an excuse to weld, and this is just one of them. I'm not working in my career do medical reasons, so this makes a great hobby, and a useful one.
                          Thanks for all the great ideas.

Comment

Took the advice and made my "Ground Breaker" interchangeable with my 3-point hitch, until I can get the loader bucket flex issues worked out.
                            If this thing gets any heavier, I'll have buy an engine crane to move it around my shop. lol
                            Attached Files

Comment

Unless your driving in reverse you'll probably find that it won't go in the ground. The angle cut on the bottom is the wrong way and will cause it to ride on top. If it was me I would tip the top of it back so the shank is on an angle forward.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.