Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Pit - Cutting Doors

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ Pit - Cutting Doors

Building a bbq pit/smoker and started cutting the doors. Cut some of the top of the door and welded the hinges on. Decided to stop and ask for some help before I finish cutting the door out.

The pit is 11ga rolled steel. Do I need to weld the ends on before I cut the doors out to maintain rigidity? 20" diameter, 40" long. Cutting a single 32" door with 4" on each end left.

Thanks.

Originally posted by mking7 View Post
    Do I need to weld the ends on before I cut the doors out to maintain rigidity? 20" diameter, 40" long. Cutting a single 32" door with 4" on each end left.
    Thanks.
    Can't hurt anything to do it, don't know if it's absolutely neccessary. The 4 inches on each side of the cut will still keep things lined up. You can weld the side plates on with a 1-1 1/2 inch weld top, bottom and each side to hold it, and weld it all the way around later if you want to go that route, or weld all the way before finishing the cut. What are you making your cuts with, torch, sawzall, zip wheel on grinder or what?

Comment

BBQ Pit - Cutting Doors

Cutting with a plasma.

Comment

BBQ Pit - Cutting Doors

I cut spots where hinges go, weld them on then go to town cuttin the rest

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.