Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crimper Repair

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimper Repair

My latest job was to fix a crimper for fittings for hydraulic hoses, with a bend stub shaft on the actuation lever as shown in picture 1. The way the crimper works is you manually push on the lever, which actuates an eccentric which crimps the fitting. The stub shaft kept bending, because the stub shaft was weakened by two flats on the shaft and a hole located in the high stress area. The original stub shaft is shown in picture 2. My buddy asked me to weld it up. Instead of welding it up I decided cut off the old stub shaft from the tubular handle and replace it with new one, which I turned on my lathe. The new stub shaft that I made and the original tubular shaft are shown ready for welding in picture 3. A close up of my weld is shown in picture 4 and the crimper with the new shaft is shown in picture 5. The new shaft has considerably more cross sectional area so I am hoping that it will hold up. When in use the crimper is clamped in a vise so it does see a huge bending moment.
    Attached Files

What is this made of I have never seen a hydraulic crimper like this

Comment

Originally posted by Rezeppa View Post
      What is this made of I have never seen a hydraulic crimper like this
      Attached is a picture of the inside of the crimper.
      You can see four dies which look like they are made of tool steel.
      The dies are mounded on slider blocks, which slide in slots in the base which looks like it is made of cast iron.
      The slider blocks are attached to linkages.
      Both the slider blocks and the linkages are likely made of alloy steel.
      The head that rotates looks like it is made of forged steel.

To me it looks like a serious well made tool.

Don
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Don52; 06-10-2012, 07:09 AM.

Comment

good job

to me also it looks seriously well made and your repair improved-it.

i have seen some simmilar attachment on pipe and rod threading machines used as

vise to hold the pipe or rod to be threaded, very powerfull holding even if you

tought you did not tightened it enough, it never slipped a bit.

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.