Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trailer Receiver 4 Winch, Will she go? Or will she bow?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Receiver 4 Winch, Will she go? Or will she bow?

All pull goes straight out the rear of the trailer thru the alum fairlead.

9000# winch, Northerntool $349.00 free ship special!

Any pro fab guiys see any issues?

I will weld it up w/ a Miller "VINTAGE" machine.

All holes you see are for plug welds.

I mean drastic changes would blow, will it work OK? OR BEND? Ugghhh

Is it OK but next time I might do "________" ?

THANK YOU in advance!

(see two posts for all pics)

More pics...

More pics...

Comment

Hmmm, Now that I look at these pics I wonder if I should X member behind it
      under the trailer? I am going to go picture that....

Comment

OK so there is a piece of 3' x 1.5" x .125" channel directly behind the
        2" x 8" x .250" channel... I would like NOT to X brace, for below is storage
        and the bracing itself will cut down on storage height...oh well, if I have to I will.

Hmm, to X brace or not to X brace, that is the question....

Comment

I might reach in behind and put a couple welds on the 4 inch to the 8 inch on the bottom,,, in the pic with your hand, you wouldn't even need the gussets, this is plenty strong, will stall the winch. It wount hurt but I would have skipped the plug welds. As for changes to doing it again woul have probably just welded the tube on. Possibly as little as 3 rods.
          Last edited by Sberry; 06-03-2012, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. You idea is valid as well and it certainly can't hurt.
            I believe I will make it so...

I felt what I had pictured was sufficent. On purpose I left 2 more vertical
            gussetts I had planned on using out of the first set of pics. I got some good
            feedback on another forum and went ahead and welded it all up. Although
            my welding skills are lacking due to self teaching and utube I do know what
            penetration is I am am sure it is "welded together". Here it is after I hit it
            lightly w/ a portable glass bead blaster;

Frankly I was very surprised I only got one reply in this forum. Granted I am
            not here a lot myself. I would suggest that "restrictions" one runs into here
            play into why attendenance is low. Why only 4 pictures in any one thread?
            It does not make people "happy" and why? I mean personally I always reference
            a URL w/o saving the picture locally. If people do that why the restrictions? Lame, IMO.

I received DOZENS of replys in a tractor forum I am in...

OMG! I just found out a silly SMILIE counts as a PICTURE...THAT STUFF TICKS
            PEOPLE OFF MR MODERATOR!
            Last edited by Artisan; 06-04-2012, 08:40 AM. Reason: turned w/ into w/o

Comment

Good work

I dont think that reciever is going anywhere. NICELY DONE!

Comment

Looks great!

Looks stout, no sharp corners, I'm going to copy your idea. Thanks

Comment

Question about the stars

Did you use a iron worker/punch press to make the stars in the gussets?

Comment

The stars and all parts were cut by water jet after I drew the parts in CAD.

Comment

It looks good

I see a lot of people using that type of mount for winches

They have the rear one then install one on the front and another on there trailer also 3 mounts and only need one winch

And yes a lot of welders go to the other welding web site and quite a few belong to the different tractor forums

Comment

Good design, welds need a bit more practice, see if you can find a local guy for a few lessons. Also, biggest problem with having multiple winch mounts and one winch, is that the winch is usually somewhere else when it is needed (usually 100 miles away, at home in the garage).

Comment

Yes, i so wish I had a teacher...teaching myself is hard.
                          UTube is a lil help...

Comment

Originally posted by Artisan View Post
                            Frankly I was very surprised I only got one reply in this forum. Granted I am
                            not here a lot myself. I would suggest that "restrictions" one runs into here
                            play into why attendenance is low. Why only 4 pictures in any one thread?
                            It does not make people "happy" and why? I mean personally I always reference
                            a URL w/o saving the picture locally. If people do that why the restrictions? Lame, IMO.
                            I tried to reply earlier on my phone but I guess it didn't take. I like it, it should be fine. After using it if something tweaks, bends or tears then reinforce it. I'm planning something similar

Comment

Very nice, well made and looks good. Keep posting your project on here, it's always appreciated.
                              Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.