Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stick Electrode Smackdown

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick Electrode Smackdown

Hey yall!!

So, this is what I've been up to lately, I ran some welds with 6011, 6013, 7014, and 7018:

And then hammered them apart:

Which was actually pretty fun and very stress relieving. My weakest weld was 7014, then 6013, 6011, and 7018. It honestly wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I was really impressed with how the 7018 held up, considering I ran all these with cheap Hobart electrodes and that 7018 had been sitting out since last winter. What I don't fully understand yet, tho, is the huge difference in the performance of the 70XX electrodes, how one failed so soon and the other held up so well. I know that one is low hydgren, but is that all that made the difference? Hopefully someone can shed a little light on that...

But anyway, hope yall enjoy the video I made this after someone asked me about weld strenght with the different electrodes, and I thought back to last summer to a series of posts made by CEP (although I'm not sure he's on this forum). He's a great welder and did pretty much the same test that I did, so I got his permission to copy his test and made it in video form. If you're reading this, thanks dude

Thats cool. 7018 has been my go to rod for the last 34 years and still is...Bob

Comment

yea me too for the 7018, odd that the 7014 broke before the 6013, i have run it in the past and was not impressed, although i know people who swear by it, you really have to watch the puddle so flux is not traped,i too would like to know why it broke before the 6013, unfortuanatly, i dont stock either rod

Comment

Since all rods were 1/8", why wasn't the same amperage used on all the rods? That seems like it would have been a more fair comparison test. The 7018 had more amps to burn in deeper than the other rods and that possibly could have had more impact on how well it held up compared to the other welds on lower amps. Was it the same number of rods in each weld? Again, more rods used in a given length of weld will have a bearing on how well it holds up in this kind of test. I didn't hear any mention of the number of rods used in each one.

Comment

Smash!

Yes! Your video was fun to watch. I enjoy testing stuff in the shop as well.

Although there are scientific and metallurgical factors and considerations that would provide solid data, I understand you are working at the bench here. That being said, I would agree with Bistineau - amperage and penetration would be critical in your tests. All things being equal (and I understand, shop-feasible), I think two separate tests might be the way to go. First, seeing all rods at the same amperage would be an interesting test and then a second test, with allowed ideal amperage's (specific to rod) taking great care to match all weld appearance (throat, contour, toe, etc). I realize this testing could go off the deep end. Ha ha.

Lastly, as much as I too enjoy smashing stuff with a sledge hammer, perhaps something more controlled, such as a hydraulic press may offer more consistent results.

Comment

Everything weldotron said, especially the testing with the hydraulic press. After beating on all the other pieces first with the BFH, it's possible fatigue may have started to set in some, requiring more blows to accomplish destruction. The press doesn't get tired, and can give a more accurate pressure read out for comparison purposes.
            You might want to team up with Lanse on welding web.com he did exactly the same test

weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=126451
            Last edited by Bistineau; 05-30-2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I could be wrong here but I think the OP is more interested in being on camera and making videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Bistineau View Post
                Since all rods were 1/8", why wasn't the same amperage used on all the rods?
                That statement, by itself, shows your ignorance. Just cruise thru the Lincoln website, stopping at every PDF file for each type of rod, and take notes, you will soon see how truely stupid that thought really is.

Comment

I prob would have used the same amps. I am not a fan of 6011 or 6013 but i do know you don't run them as hot as 7018 or you will have a hole. Learned that...Bob

Comment

So why would you even attempt to run them at the same amps, bob??? Every different rod has different parameters, intended for different applications, you don't use a 6010/6011 where a 7018 is called for. You admit yourself, "blow holes",,, it is incomprehensible to me that somebody who knows this thinks they could run a test,,,, in your words,,,, "I prob would have used the same amps".

Comment

any one testing 1 rod against another will use the proper heat range for optimum results for that particular rod, 1 size fits all will not work here
                      7018x1/8" @ 125 amps for flat is right on
                      6011 will be too hot
                      7014 will be cold
                      6013 will be hot
                      using the same amperage will not give accurate results
                      my 2 cents worth

Comment

Originally posted by kevin View Post
                        any one testing 1 rod against another will use the proper heat range for optimum results for that particular rod, 1 size fits all will not work here
                        7018x1/8" @ 125 amps for flat is right on
                        6011 will be too hot
                        7014 will be cold
                        6013 will be hot
                        using the same amperage will not give accurate results
                        my 2 cents worth

Ok so why would OP run 7018 at 140A and 7014 at 125A when amperage ranges for both are practically the same. Would be fare if He ran these two at the same amps
                        Kevin

Comment

Jeeeze, thats what I was thinking!! Thanks you guys!! Glad some people agree with me, people on WW and on the video itself all asked why I used different amperages, I always thought different rods used different amperages. Sometimes you get lucky tho and have exceptions, like 3/32 7018 and 1/8" 6010 run about the same. Im thinking of doing a part two all at the same amperage just because people seem to want to see it, but idk...

My main concern would be the undercut. When I went to get the 7014 and the 6013 set up, I'd crank up the welder in increments until I got undercut, and then backed it down until that went away... Atleast, thats how I usually set myself up...

Comment

Every rod based on type and size has a given parameter, low amperage to high amperage. Your amperage settings should be set within those parameters for whatever rod you're using based on base metal thickness, type of joint, and weld position. Using 1/8th" 7018 as an example to state 1/8" 7018 is "flat on at 125 amps" is wrong when the high end of most brands is in the 150 amp range and the low end as low as 90 amps.
                            Last edited by Old Skool; 05-31-2012, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                              That statement, by itself, shows your ignorance. Just cruise thru the Lincoln website, stopping at every PDF file for each type of rod, and take notes, you will soon see how truely stupid that thought really is.
                              There are several here that agree with what I said on this and I haven't posted on this link. http://weldingweb.com.php?t=126451 Not all these people think it's a stupid question. This is the same test and post on a differant site.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.