Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trailer how big with single axle

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer how big with single axle

As the title says ,how big of a trailer can be built on a single axle.

The cargo 180 wheelbase front engine dragster.
    Weight,dragster 1400, toolbox,fueljugs,jack,?,?,? for a total cargo weight of 2000?

What I would like to build or buy is a 60" x 20' tilting deck single axle trailer with the axle at the 15 to 17 foot mark. If need be a 5000# axle could be used elec brakes would be ok.

Has anyone seen anything like this. Ive seen vintage photos but nothing new.
    Ive been told if I were to build it myself, I'd most likely never get it registered in PA.

Any sugestions???

Frank Aka The Weekend Welder
    Last edited by weekend welder; 04-30-2012, 05:50 PM.

There isn't any reason you couldn't register that style trailer in pa. Length of the trailer doesn't really matter. As long as you have the legal max rear over hang, axle to rear of trailer, you are fine. don't know pa but most states are 20% over hang.

Comment

I also don't see why you couldn't register it but check with the authorities. Look at some boat trailers as they seem to be long. Most likely if you add up the weights of the load & trailer you will be at about 3500# so a 5000# axle is most likely the way to go. What is the reasoning behind not wanting a tandem? If it was me that is what I would build.

Comment

Sounds like some big bucks are going to be resting somewhere it won't be comfortable. Anytime something is on a trailer it does not belong there. I want the best and safest I can afford. I shake my head when I see expensive toys on a junk or small wheel trailer. I would hate to blow a single tire on a two wheel trailer .

Comment

Originally posted by weekend welder View Post
          As the title says ,how big of a trailer can be built on a single axle.

Ive seen vintage photos but nothing new.
          Ive been told if I were to build it myself, I'd most likely never get it registered in PA.

Any sugestions???

Frank Aka The Weekend Welder
          Probably a good reason you only see it in vintage photos, consider tandem axle to haul your high dollar toy. For a twenty foot trailer, it just makes sense.

Comment

I've never built a single axle trailer longer than 14 feet, my two cents is that with just one axle over 20 feet of trailer the trailer would be not be rigid enough, the placement of the axle at 15 feet would make it extremely front heavy with any load, while u may want a single axle to make a tilt easier on a single pivot point, I would spent a little more money and get tandem axles to make sure my toy is safe

Comment

You can easily find axle/suspension combinations capable of carrying 5, 7.5, 10, or 20 thousand pounds. Just carrying a dragster, I wouldn't consider a problem, just have to engineer the frame to be stiff enough to handle the weight past the axle.

I have a hard time understanding why this is even an issue???

Edit: if you don't like the laws in your state, most states recognize the laws in others,,,,,, that is, you can register a trailer in any other state your state is very likely to accept it. Liability, in all cases, as far as I know, rests with the power unit. Good or bad, that's the way it is. Since just a few years ago,,,, road taxes and weight fees are also mostly (if not always) assigned to the power unit also.
              Last edited by JSFAB; 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM.

Comment

http://www.gregspradlin.com/blog/vin...agster-photos/
                Hey i have 2 vintage Goodyear Blue Streak slicks. Had them on my '33 Ford in high school...Bob

Comment

this is what I had in mind

some picks of what I had in mind.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Those are some sweet looking cars in those pics...Bob

Comment

Measure up one of those in the picture and build it.

Comment

They all look like modified boat trailers. Two still have the hand winch in place.

Comment

Especially after seeing these pictures, I fail to see why this is even an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by FernTJ View Post
                            They all look like modified boat trailers. Two still have the hand winch in place.
                            I would say the hand winch is to load the car on the trailer without using the engine. Ya gotta remember a dragster sometimes blows an engine during a race and can't be driven back on the trailer. Also with such a short trailer it's probably better/easier to control it so as not to overshoot the end of the trailer when loading. Probably not good to have part of the race car on the rear of the tow vehicle for the trip home.

Comment

I understand why the trailer builders left the winch on the boat trailer, to pull the car on. I still think those are boat trailers because the winches are mounted higher than would be ideal for a low dragster.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.