Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Framing saw to cut through metal???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framing saw to cut through metal???

I'm thinking to get me a framing saw to cut some steel, I read that the framing saws with a Diablo steel blade are good. Up to which thickness I can use this method?

Homedepot's Ridgid 6 1/2" VS Harbor Freight 7 1/4" Chicago Electric?

Thanks

Wood cutting saws are really too fast for cutting metal. It will work, but the blade suffers with shorter life and doesn't cut as well at that speed. You should purchase a metal cutting saw. They have a lower blade speed and do the job well.

Charley

Comment

hmm

don't know about those two but a skill mag77 with a carbide tipped blade will cut right through 1/2inch ply and a steel sawhorse like butter don't ask how i know

Comment

This one is very nice

Comment

Originally posted by umahunter View Post
          don't know about those two but a skill mag77 with a carbide tipped blade will cut right through 1/2inch ply and a steel sawhorse like butter don't ask how i know
          I found an old SKIL SAW, will get a nice blade and try

Comment

What gauge or thickness are you cutting ? I bought the HF STEEL cutting circular saw and it is good. I don't need the big buck real saws so the HF it was. I got it for around 60.00 with coupon and it paid for its self already. I was going to buy the Milwaukee but it would have been almost 200.00 more. I used it for cutting 12 and 18 gauge plus 1/4" plate. I cannot complain. If you need it every day then go for a real steel cutting saw. good luck

Comment

hmm

not sure bout the power of that saw i was talking about one of these skill mag77 worm drive http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...E_3MUoxcmV4C5w

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
                What gauge or thickness are you cutting ? I bought the HF STEEL cutting circular saw and it is good. I don't need the big buck real saws so the HF it was. I got it for around 60.00 with coupon and it paid for its self already. I was going to buy the Milwaukee but it would have been almost 200.00 more. I used it for cutting 12 and 18 gauge plus 1/4" plate. I cannot complain. If you need it every day then go for a real steel cutting saw. good luck
                Mostly 1/8", but want to do some skid plates for my Jeep and those will be 3/16" maybe 1/4" no bigger than that.

Comment

Steel cutting saw

I have the saw listed below, I cut 1/2" mild steel with it a lot. It will cut bigger but I haven't done it yet. The key is lock a straight edge on the edge for a guide so it doesn't bind. Blades are 85 buck or so and use the manfact recommended. It has saved me lots of time!!

Milwaukee 6370-21 13 Amp 8-Inch Metal Cutting Circular Saw.

Comment

1/8" and up is too thick for a wood circular saw. That being said, I have cut THOUSANDS of feet of 26ga steel sheeting with my makita 7 1/4 circular saw. If you can find them, the Tenryu metal cutting blades are much better and last longer than the steel demon. For wood though, every one of my saws has a red diablo blade on it.

For 1/8" up to 1 1/2" bar grating I use my Champion metal cutting saw. http://www.championcuttingtool.com/pdf/rs725.pdf

my only complaint is that is uses a blade with a weirdo 20mm arbor hole.

Comment

double post.

Comment

Originally posted by GilNewWelder View Post
                        This one is very nice

makita. We have 2 of them evolutions we tore to pieces very shortly

Comment

Everyone has there own opinion of course . I work in a fab shop we have several of the metal cutting saws. Skill mags and another brand. They are ok if you take the time to clamp down a straight edge ...... Make sure you clean out the shavings trap after each use . Now I think using a skill saw with a metal blade works about the same . They both pretty much suck and are so loud . I use a track torch or my trusty burn bar and use a torch for half inch and up and a plazz cutter for 1/16 up to half . I cut some two inch plate last week with a track torch and number three tip. Then I finished making the final cuts by hand with a torch with number two tip and my helper holding a rose bud ahead of my cuts...... It looked great .

Comment

Originally posted by CharleyL View Post
                            Wood cutting saws are really too fast for cutting metal. It will work, but the blade suffers with shorter life and doesn't cut as well at that speed. You should purchase a metal cutting saw. They have a lower blade speed and do the job well.

Charley
                            Do you have to change the blades of saws if you go from mild steel to stainless or aluminum so that the saw blade doesn't cause it to rust? I know you have to change grinding pads if you're going from mild steel to stainless or aluminum.

Comment

**** no

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.