Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propeller Repair

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Repair

Attached are some pictures of a prop I repaired for a friend.
    The boat was 50 HP and was built in 1968.
    Last fall the prop hit a log.
    Attached Files

And the last picture
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice...Bob

Comment

It looks like you did a fine job on the repairs!

How much time did you have in the project start to finish? Hopefully the boat owner will be more careful where he/she takes the boat this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie_486 View Post
          It looks like you did a fine job on the repairs!

How much time did you have in the project start to finish? Hopefully the boat owner will be more careful where he/she takes the boat this season.
          It took me about 1-1/4 hours.
          It took a little longer because there was a crack in the middle of the blade from a previous repair.

Don

Comment

i wish you were around or i knew how to tig when i was seventeen. i ran my Dads mid fifties seventy horse johnson on a sand bar. to get loose i gunned it and ground away half the propeller. My dad didnt say a word. which is worse than getting yelled at. Took a year to find replacement prop.

Comment

Looks like you saved the day with this repair. The boat owner would probably have a hard time finding a replacement prop for an outboard that old in the size and pitch needed. Not to mention what the price would be IF a replacement could be found. Any idea how it turned out as far as balance goes? If it vibrates too much at operating speeds it could chew up the seals on the shaft causing water to enter the gearbox and trashing the lower unit if not checked. If it has some vibration after this, it can be taken to a prop shop for final balancing, look in the yellow pages for a shop to do this if needed. They can also replace the rubber bushing in the hub if it starts slipping. The impact with the log that cause this damage could have loosened the bushing enough to the point where it could start trying to spin in the hub during acceleration. If the motor revs up more than normal before the boat reaches speed, then that is what's going on. It may take several outings before this happens, but it is probably going to happen eventually with this old of a prop. There are specialty shops out there that do prop repairs as well as modifications that do this kind of work. Some dealership repair departments may also be able to do this, too. So if it starts to slip in the hub, get the bushing replaced before it spins off completely and sends the repaired prop to the bottom of the lake, never to be seen again. Seen that happen before, then you need a tow back in if a replacement is not onboard the boat. Weekends last longer when you carry a spare propeller.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                Nice...Bob
                Bob,

My friend Jim, the boat owner, is a decent TIG welder. To prepare him for the prop repair, I sent him a link to your latest prop welding repair posting.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...at-prop-repair

I also sent him a link to Welding Tips & Tricks prop welding repair.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...ropellers.html

After work Jim brought the prop to our TIG welder and discovered that the Argon bottle was empty because it had been left open for some time and the spare was also empty because whoever last switched tanks didn't bother to move it to the empty cylinder corral. I just told him to give it to me . I welded it that evening and brought it in the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bistineau View Post
                  You (should) carry a spare propeller.
                  Fortunately Jim does have a spare prop. I didn't realize that it would be difficult to find one for such an old boat. I will remind him that he might want to keep it on the boat for emergencies.

I will review the technical information of your post with Jim.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I really enjoy everything that I have learned from this forum.

Don

Comment

Well it looks great, I couldn't have done it better myself. I'll bet your friend is happy you saved them a bunch of money fixing it vs replacing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Don52 View Post
                      Fortunately Jim does have a spare prop. I didn't realize that it would be difficult to find one for such an old boat. I will remind him that he might want to keep it on the boat for emergencies.

I will review the technical information of your post with Jim.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I really enjoy everything that I have learned from this forum.

Don
                      Has he tryed it yet on the boat at full throttle, to check for vibrations/balance? If not, encourage him to try it. That way if it is off a little he can get it to a prop shop to get it balanced so it is ready for use.Some people just want to say"it'll be all right", but when it's needed, then they find out it is trying to shake the motor apart. Have him put it on and run it in the water, not just on the trailer, makes a big difference.

Comment

I sent him a link to this thread and asked him to pay particular attention to post #7 & 11. Thanks again for everyone that took the time to post.

Comment

Re: Propeller Repair

You have done really a great job. I have gone through these images. Nice man. How long did it take to repair the propeller?

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
                            You have done really a great job. I have gone through these images. Nice man. How long did it take to repair the propeller?
                            I did it in an evening.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.