Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I best cap square steel tuning?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I best cap square steel tuning?

I have some 1.25" x 1.25" x .095 square steel tubing that may need some ends capped and want to know the smart way to do it. I read somewhere about "tabs" but haven't got a clue what those look like... a picture's worth a thousand words.

Obviously I could grind and fit them to the inside of the tube or have them on the outside but there's gotta be some tricks to it.

Thanks for the help.

When I need to cap square tube, like fence posted or table ends, I use flat stock that is the same size of the tube and Cut if to fit, weld, then grind to look good. Works well, cheap and easy. So you are using 1.25 square tube, I would get 1.25 flat bar and cut it square. Easy flat caps. Hope this helps

Comment

Ok, why do you want to cap the tubing? So it looks nicer? If not to seal but to dress it up, you can get the plastic plugs you tap in. King supply in Texas sells them

Comment

I do it similar to dozer7078 but I don't cut them square first. I use a length, weld or tack up 3 of the sides, then take an angle grinder with a cutoff blade, cut it off to fit and then weld the fourth side. I find this is easier cause I have something to hold onto while I'm getting it tacked in place with the right alignment.

I have also used the tap in plastic caps that monte mentioned. You can get some sizes at Home Depot but they are WAY less expensive from King.

Bob

Comment

I wouldn't cut the caps the same size of the tube make them a tad smaller so when you grind them smooth you will still have some weld holding the cap to the tube. Just my thoughts...Bob

Comment

Thank you and sorry I posted then tuned out. I got my log splitter on wheels, finally.

The capping is for prettiness, safety sake and to seal out water. It's a log splitter and I pay more attention to where my hands are than where my legs are. The legs tend to run into stuff and I HATE getting cut on my own work!

As it turns out I may be able to cap them AND add some strength to the highest load bearing joints. The splitter, power pack is separate, probably weighs 450lbs.

Name:  5f41ce6a9c469263b1ffff7a84bf0039.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  a4f249734be85f1207664c80d75f7304.jpg
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  aa32385718503aa8dafc91c04dee51a0.jpg
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  64fa09516841ea9d79558868258472cc.jpg
Size:  44.7 KB

This thread is part of this thread... http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...lp-w-fix-ideas
            Last edited by PortlandGuy; 03-20-2012, 06:55 PM.

Comment

For the way you have it built I might be inclined to grind down or cut off the horizontal supports to match the angle of the legs and then cut a piece of Flat stock the width of both legs and cover/cap both holes at once- may provide some extra support, dunno really. Flat stock is relatively cheap.

Same idea for the Top holes on the Legs.

Comment

it's done

Besides paint for the cart, it's done, finally. What an effort this one was.

I ended up with a working height of 30" (man height versus midget height) and the front end will drop to the ground for those nasty pieces of 30" plus dia. oak and other wet heavy wood that'll break a back. I didn't want to engineer a vertical standing machine when a 'stooping' machine will do the same work for much less effort.

You guys sure helped me tremendously and I am grateful.

Log Splitter, one Name:  3f16a04e925ffe5bb522f747c24fe089.jpg
Size:  87.9 KB

Log Splitter, two Name:  621e022d23b85047040233271c5c6144.jpg
Size:  85.9 KB

Log Splitter, three Name:  405d0c8f2df8d687abe1bd0a668d39ff.jpg
Size:  82.8 KB

Log Splitter, four Name:  edd8f0962ba491a61217f1a860a854ff.jpg
Size:  87.7 KB

Log Splitter, five Name:  38dbb729d4d4c3e452cba496502614c4.jpg
Size:  89.9 KB
                Last edited by PortlandGuy; 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Generally when I cap square tubing in an application such as this, I cut the cap to fit inside the tube then fuse a bead with TIG around the perimeter of the tube and lightly sand it prior to painting. I'm not saying my way is any more right than the advice the others gave you, it's just different.

The one thing though that I would have done is where the bolts go through the square tubing I would have made a sleeve to go through the tubing where the bolt is going to be and TIG welded it on each side of the tubing so when you tighten the bolts you don't crush the tubing.

Comment

Sleeves inside the square tubing is a great idea. The squishing power of those bolts was bothering me

Originally posted by Blondie_486 View Post
                    Generally when I cap square tubing in an application such as this, I cut the cap to fit inside the tube then fuse a bead with TIG around the perimeter of the tube and lightly sand it prior to painting. I'm not saying my way is any more right than the advice the others gave you, it's just different.

The one thing though that I would have done is where the bolts go through the square tubing I would have made a sleeve to go through the tubing where the bolt is going to be and TIG welded it on each side of the tubing so when you tighten the bolts you don't crush the tubing.

Comment

Got Tread Plate?

The last time I had to cap some tubing was on 2x2 1/8", used for vertical stakes on a trailer. I had some tread plate laying around a sheared 2x2 plates. Weld them on, grind them flush. Added a little bit of decorative touch, definitely not a factory touch. Name:  d45093f54181f8534ccd0f66797beb0a.jpg
Size:  48.0 KB

Comment

I always cut a flat plate to cap. I will oversize it by a little bit, like a 1/16th both directions. I bevel the plate and tube end. Weld it making sure the plate is barely proud of the tube on all sides. Then when you grind the weld smooth with a flap disk you also grind the plate to the tubes shape.

Comment

use flat bar that is smaller than the square tube and weld it corner to corner there is less grinding that way

Comment

I like the novel idea to have the power supply mounted separately from the ram, using quick connectors. What other items do you attach to the hydraulic power supply? Just curious. Thanks.

Comment

end caps

Go and see welding tipsandtricks ther is a very good video about end caps in square steel tubing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.