miller 140

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miller 140

I know that the question i ask will be a totaly biased one "since the question is on a Miller a forum" but with all honesty How much better is a Miller 140 with Auto set compared to a lincoln or hobart of equal power. The reason i am asking is......i am interested in a mig 110volt, that i can use to fabricate hog traps and small utility trailers. i dont plan on doing any heavy metal work just the occasional weekender. Probably the largest steel that i may be using is 3/16 and maybe "rarely" 1/4" mild steel. I just want a small unit that will last me for years, has a good service warranty and has the capability of making welding easy like the Auto set feature found on the Miller. I am more set towards getting a miller but on another forum they are suggesting other and Lincoln and Hobart are one of the top named. any suggestions guys. thanks

its a chevy ford thing. some prefer some wile others prefer the other.
    when i was looking for my 120V MIG i looked closely at the miller, hobart, and lincoln 135 (all were 135's at the time) i noticed some small upgrades in quality in the miller. like aluminum wheel latch instead of plastic for the other guys. my gut told me to go with Miller and looking closer just reinforced that. all would get the job done and most likely all would still be running if i had chosen differently. it really comes down to the options you want in the welder and what will help ya sleep at night. if you just want simple, like the auto set. then get the Miller and never look back. 7 years from now it will still be going strong and the extra $100 will mean nothing. 10 years later even less. my MM135 is 7 years old and works as nice today as it did the day i got it. i have no regrets about the little extra $ i spent. many will tell you the same about there Hobart's and lincolns. odds are good if you stick to a name brand you will be fine. if ya like the auto set and thing its worth the extra $$ to get it, then go for it. if saving a few $'s is the top priority, get what you want to spend. decide if you are choosing by $$ or by options and buy accordingly.

I'm very happy with my MM135 and suspect you will be just as happy with the new MM140.
    you may be pushing its capability's a bit, you may want to look a bit closer at a 240V welder if its possible.

good to have ya with us on the forem, hope ya stick around. lots of good info here to be shared.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

I don't understand the Auto set feature- sure it will make it easier to dial in the setting but you still have to be able to make a sound weld.

...and really, how freakin' hard was/ is it to look at the door chart

maybe they are designed for the new work force with limited English skills.

Why the 120v Size? $$?

A MM140 w. auto set is 650.00

A Hobart Handler 187 is 675.00

http://store.cyberweld.com/migwelders.html

Last edited by Broccoli1; 02-23-2008, 08:55 PM.
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Please don't even think about building trailers or anything else structural with a small unit like that. Spend the extra money and buy a machine that is more capable to do the work you describe. I just don't think that machine will do well on items such as trailers, where others lives may depend on it as it's going down the road. I think this machine would be fine for your traps but not much more. I'm sure I may get some flack for this but this is only my opinion, nothing more. Dave
        If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
        Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

well as far as the 120 volt size, i am currently renting an extension from the main house the amount of 230volt outlets is very limited as well as the area around the home that i can actually do projects.
          At the beginning i was goind to purchase a Lincoln 100hd "100amps", but my friend who used to do alot of wielding highly recommend a Miller brand because of its durability and reputation as being the "BEST".
          Well...i went to a local welding distributor and checked out the products between the 2 units. At the retail store there was a comparison chart between the 2 units i was looking at "miller 140 and the Lincoln 100HD", as i compared the 2 it seemed that my friend was right! certain parts well actually alot of parts where either plastic, not built strong enough, more rollers vs less, e.t.c. on the Lincoln, so now i have built up enough doubts about the Lincoln that i no longer want to purchase the darn thing, but after reading several posts on this site and other forums i can no longer make up my mind! It seems that; although Miller has some added benefits "auto set" it doesnt really make much of a difference "although the amp output of the Lincoln is still unappealing" . Do you think that spending the extra $$ for the bells and whistles will be worth it for me in the long run? now the tossup between which brand is Hobart and Miller

Comment

HH140

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6073_200306073

459.00 Free shipping
            Ed Conley
            MM252
            MM211
            TA185
            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
            O/A set
            SO 2020 Bender
            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

You really can't compare the Miller 140 to a Lincoln 100hd

the true comparison is between the
              MM140 Auto Set and the Lincoln Power Mig 140 C (not the T)
              Ed Conley
              MM252
              MM211
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

just curious....miller 180 230 volts, if i were to weld 3/16 steel can i use the basic 115 outlet? i know that 5/16 will definetly require a 230 outlet. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by freakon View Post
                  just curious....miller 180 230 volts, if i were to weld 3/16 steel can i use the basic 115 outlet? i know that 5/16 will definetly require a 230 outlet. thanks
                  The MM180 won't run off a 120 volt input. As advertised, it requires a 230V input.

Comment

The Auto-set feature is for solid wire applications with an .023 or .030 wire. No auto set for fluxcore. 3/16" and 1/4" with a 120 volt unit are fluxcore applications, running multiple passes.

Comment

although the price will probably shy you away, needing 120V for little stuff and 240V for the trailer. the better option would be the passport+ or the DVI 2
                      they would allow you to run on 120V for the smaller stock but still have the option for 240V and some real amp's for the trailer.
                      if thats out of your budget. look again closely at the HH187 and a decent extension cord to get you full time use of the 240V plug.
                      dabar39 is spot on. a 120V welder is not a good option for building trailers. and the little 100amp option is even worse. pick up a HH187 and spend a little $ to make up a good extension cord to allow you access to the 240V power for all your welding. you will be glad you did.
                      some how i missed the trailer part of your post. just thought traps and cages was the plan.
                      Last edited by fun4now; 02-24-2008, 11:07 AM.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

so just to clarify, if i were to use the Auto set feature on a miller 140, the only time i can use those diameter wires i would need to run it with gas? regular fluxcore wires will have to be dialed in correctly? Do you think the Auto set feature on a 140 is worth spending the extra $$, if i wont be running any gas this early in the game? I think 3/16 mild steel is the max i will be going at this point. i no longer have any interest in trying to make trailers, if i have to i may just use one of my friends migs with those projects. i will most defintly be using it to make hog traps though.

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                        The Auto-set feature is for solid wire applications with an .023 or .030 wire. No auto set for fluxcore. 3/16" and 1/4" with a 120 volt unit are fluxcore applications, running multiple passes.

Comment

HH140

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6073_200306073

459.00 Free shipping

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/

You can search over on Hobart to see how good the HH140 is- as far as 120v machines go.

Good bang for the buck.

Miller and Hobart are owned by the same Company

If you really want something in Blue order a Miller Hood
                          Ed Conley
                          MM252
                          MM211
                          TA185
                          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                          O/A set
                          SO 2020 Bender
                          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Lots of good replies here. If you go ahead and get the Miller you will have the BEST 115v mig machine made...no doubt. Maybe not the best bang per buck but certainly the best made.
                            Then after using that machine you will either love it and use it forever or move into a bigger machine. By buying a Miller product you a insuring that it will always sell if need be and bring top dollar at the same time.
                            You will also be getting about as close to an american made machine as you can get also and be helping out your American brothers. Not saying Hobart and Lincoln are not American made just saying I know Miller is.

BTW I had a Lincoln SP-135 plus and was NOT happy with the weld performance. I know many love them and I really don't expect a little mig to fill my needs. I looked for about a year at smaller migs and wanted a HH210 untill Miller came out with the Passport Plus, then I got way too confused
                            I like Fun's advice tho...get the HH187 for the same money and make a cord and trust me buddy you will NOT regret getting the extra power. Cords are cheap...reworking crappy welds is not.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                            Miller WC-115-A
                            Miller Spectrum 300
                            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Fusion,

What other 120v machine did you compare the Lincoln against?

Just curious as I have the SP135 + and it does everything a 120v machine can handle
                              I have run a HH 135, A Miller 135 and a Lincoln 100 HD - all these 120v machines perform just fine at what they are designed to do.

Hobart, Miller and Lincoln all have parts outsourced and assembled here in the USA
                              Ed Conley
                              MM252
                              MM211
                              TA185
                              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                              O/A set
                              SO 2020 Bender
                              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Working...