Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help with a headache rack

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with a headache rack

I have a headache rack built, but I don't know what to use to brace it without running something down the full length of the bed rails on my truck. Any ideas?

very easy

You can use 2" angle iron on top ,there are many other ways to secure your rack, my advise is to clone any existing rack you like, will be your preference and not someones idea

Comment

Originally posted by 7018fiend View Post
      I have a headache rack built, but I don't know what to use to brace it without running something down the full length of the bed rails on my truck. Any ideas?

Are you talking about a ladder rack, if so what weight is going on it, do you have bed rail pockets that you can use.

Comment

Originally posted by go2building View Post
        Are you talking about a ladder rack, if so what weight is going on it, do you have bed rail pockets that you can use.
        This would be my question, too. Is it one that stands behind the cab only, or extends from the windsheild to the tailgate? The full length type is a ladder rack, or like I call mine a truck rack. The one that stands behind the cab only is a headache rack, some folks try to use the terms interchangably, that's why the question on what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Bistineau View Post
          This would be my question, too. Is it one that stands behind the cab only, or extends from the windsheild to the tailgate? The full length type is a ladder rack, or like I call mine a truck rack. The one that stands behind the cab only is a headache rack, some folks try to use the terms interchangeably, that's why the question on what you have.
          Your saying like the brand name Back Rack, didn't know that was the term. If so what about a roll bar design look and bolt into bed rail pockets[/I]

Comment

Your saying like the brand name Back Rack, didn't know that was the term. If so what about a roll bar design look and bolt into bed rail pockets[/I]
            No I'm saying one like I Built for my truck. I don't really care for the manufactured commercial ones. I guess it's cause I've seen more of the welded type, and they just seem stronger and better made than the kind you buy that an be configured to fit several makes of truck. This is my truck rack, it is 13' 6" long, and can easily carry 20' joints of steel. It is 1.25x1/8" sq. tubing. I think if it were put on a 1 ton dually, it could hold more weight than you could safely drive down the road with, unless there was considerable weight in the floor of the bed to counteract it. But then the truck would be at or over it's max cargo capacity. This IS a truck rack, though some have tryed to call it a head ache rack.
            Attached Files

Comment

Just trying to compare back rack to headache bar for the terminology. My truck rack is built of 1.5 X 1.5 X 3/6 tube and sits on 3 X 3 X 3/16 angle frame bolted to bed rail with welder suspended off the bottom of the bed using frame of the rack. I have loaded 500# beams on it, no problem.

Comment

About 1.5' of 2" angle iron with a 4-7" flat bar brace for stability

Comment

Originally posted by 7018fiend View Post
                  About 1.5' of 2" angle iron with a 4-7" flat bar brace for stability
                  That should do the trick, and maybe another between these across the front of the bed all welded together. Put a piece of neoprene about 1.5"x1/4' under the side pieces to absorb vibrations and protect the bedrails. But if you ran the angle iron the full length of the bedrails you could add tie down points for your dirt bike and gear, or run a piece of 1/2" solid round stock about 1 1/2" above the bed rail angle iron for this purpose, then you could put your straps anywhere along the bed.
                  Last edited by Bistineau; 03-10-2012, 05:13 AM.

Comment

That should do the trick, and maybe another between these across the front of the bed all welded together. Put a piece of neoprene about 1.5"x1/4' under the side pieces to absorb vibrations and protect the bedrails. But if you ran the angle iron the full length of the bedrails you could add tie down points for your dirt bike and gear, or run a piece of 1/2" solid round stock about 1 1/2" above the bed rail angle iron for this purpose, then you could put your straps anywhere along the bed.
                    Thats true. I might make them a little longer and weld some U-bolts on. Thanks!

Comment

Make sure to post up some pix of the finished project. We would like to see the outcome. Unless your ashamed of it, but if you were you wouldn't put it on your truck for all the world to see. But then maybe you would, dunno.

Comment

Make sure to post up some pix of the finished project. We would like to see the outcome. Unless your ashamed of it, but if you were you wouldn't put it on your truck for all the world to see. But then maybe you would, dunno.
                        haha yeah I'll definitely take some pictures. I just need some money so I can buy the rest of the metal.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.