Cylinder Transport Rack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by csedan510 View Post
    in theory, i like the concept but those taller bottles i would want to support from higher up too.
    It is also a bit scary in the event of a rear ender...
    good point on rear ender!
    sigpic
    "OUR ONLY LIMITATION IS YOUR MIND"

Comment

Horizontal is legal

Federal Haz Mat regs dictate the transportation of class 2 haz mat (gasses).

177.834 (a) states:
      Any package containing any hazardous material, not permanently attached to a motor vehicle, must be secured against shifting, including relative motion between packages, within the vehicle on which it is being transported, under conditions normally incident to transportation. Packages having valves or other fittings must be loaded in a manner to minimize the likelihood of damage during transportation.

177.840 ( this is the important one. )
      Floors or platform essentially flat. Cylinders containing Class 2 (gases) materials shall not be loaded onto any part of the floor or platform of any motor vehicle which is not essentially flat; cylinders containing Class 2 (gases) materials may be loaded onto any motor vehicle not having a floor or platform only if such motor vehicle be equipped with suitable racks having adequate means for securing such cylinders in place therein. Nothing contained in this section shall be so construed as to prohibit the loading of such cylinders on any motor vehicle having a floor or platform and racks as hereinbefore described.

Cylinders.
      Cylinders containing Class 2 gases must be securely restrained in an upright or horizontal position, loaded in racks, or packed in boxes or crates to prevent the cylinders from being shifted, overturned or ejected from the motor vehicle under normal transportation conditions. A pressure relief device, when installed, must be in communication with the vapor space of a cylinder containing a Division 2.1 (flammable gas) material.

In summary; cylinders maybe transported upright or horizontally. In either position they MUST be secure. Also states can not make regs that are more or less strict. I once had a 100# propane tank filled, laid it down. The lady told me I had to stand it up or she was going to call the law. She was wrong she got fired!

If your wondering I've been transporting haz-mat for last 10 yrs qualified for the last 20 yrs. I transport the deadliest materials that can hauled. ( No I'm not bragging)

Source;
      http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...1.3.13&idno=49

Comment

I use a 1/2 sheet of 1/2 inch plywood with 2x6s screwed to it every 12 inches lay it in my truck bed and bungie tie and strap over and around the bottles and never have a problem, slides in and out real easy. Carry 4 bottles real easy and safe.

Comment

Working...
        X