No announcement yet.

More aluminum practice welds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is overwhelming information against me on this point. I believe this myth (IMHO) started way back before there were readily available AC TIG machines. I, too, have spent hours stainless brushing and acetone-ing the filler. My welds are just as good either way. YMMV This may ruffle some feathers.

There seem to be a number of things along this line. The old practice of balling the tungsten before welding aluminum as well. Changes in technology can sometimes bring about changes in the rules

i also started out way to concerned about cleaning it. i found get the grease or oil off it and then a quick scratch with a SS wire brush ( by hand ) helps ya get off to a good start. if you filler is freaking out the puddle on ya, give it a quick wipe down as well. in general just clean it off a bit and go for it.
    keep in mind if the back is coverd in cra p it will end up in the weld. so clean out the inside of the tube also where ya can if needed.
    then just relax and get to it.

as for switching back and forth, in time i suspect it will be easy-er but i'm still paying for it as well at times. not that i'm a pro, just playing around out back to get out of the house and away from the wife.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

Back peddaling

fun4now:
      "if you filler is freaking out the puddle on ya, give it a quick wipe down as well."

I was reading OLD posts last night (from Jan. 2007), about poor weld appearance. One of the quys said something like: "you're adding filler faster than the AC has a chance to clean off all of the oxides."

These two points together, reminded me that I've had times when the filler would glob on the end of the rod and not 'wick' into the puddle. Since this only happened on occassion, I made no connection to the filler.

OK, so maybe I'll start Scotch Bright'n my filler.

My thanks to JAMES
      Last edited by Craig in Denver; 02-23-2008, 07:58 PM. Reason: Can't spell pedal and can't fix it.
      RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm going to take this thread off topic just to say that I tried a piece of steel today for the first time. It felt almost like starting the process of learning to weld all over again.

When I first put the pedal down and the arc started, my first reaction was "is this thing working"? Then I realized I was expecting the AC noise. DC is so darn quite it is almost soothing. How do you guys stay awake when welding steel?

Comment

Originally posted by root View Post
          I'm going to take this thread off topic just to say that I tried a piece of steel today for the first time. It felt almost like starting the process of learning to weld all over again.

When I first put the pedal down and the arc started, my first reaction was "is this thing working"? Then I realized I was expecting the AC noise. DC is so darn quite it is almost soothing. How do you guys stay awake when welding steel?
          Wear very thin gloves and frequently reposition the weldment.
          Dynasty 200DX, first generation
          Makita 5" grinder
          Makita 14" abrasive saw
          IR SS5L compressor
          Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
          and a wish list a mile long

Comment

yea, its a terrible thing to have the welder just humming behind ya. nice and soothing. of course us TA-185 guys get that on AC & DC . no screaming noises for us, just the tunes from ny MP3. makes TIGing verry relaxing .
            Miller should really do some thing about the noise.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by shorerider16 View Post
              Wear very thin gloves and frequently reposition the weldment.
              Ouch...

Comment

Just to follow up the off topic. I can now see why folks say steel is generally easier than aluminum. After getting over the initial differences (quieter, gnarly glow of red hot steel, etc.), I practiced a few butt welds. Compared to aluminum, the steel practically seemed to weld itself.

Oh yeah. And I forgot to turn on my helmet for the second time. However, this time I realized it immediately and closed my eyes and killed the arc. Not that I'm worried about it this time, especially since I now know about the full time UV/IR shading regardless of whether the helmet is on.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                  TIGing verry relaxing .
                  Doing the steel really was. Less tempermental than the aluminum and about the only thing you hear (without an MP3 player one ) is the steady, quiet stream of argon. Rather addicting and a good stress release.

Miller should really do some thing about the noise.
                  Not sure I understand. Are Miller welders loud in general? This TA185 is the only welder I've been around duing use.

Comment

the dyn screams like a dying rabbit its loud enough to want ear plugs as i understand it. this is on AC only though. i also have the TA-185 so no screaming for me aether. just a sweet hummmmm.

i thought minewas broke when i first tryed AC . i was expecting the screeming of the Dyn ???
                    Last edited by fun4now; 02-24-2008, 07:37 PM.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                      the dyn screams like a dying rabbit its loud enough to want ear plugs as i understand it. this is on AC only though. i also have the TA-185 so no screaming for me aether. just a sweet hummmmm.

i thought minewas broke when i first tryed AC . i was expecting the screeming of the Dyn ???
                      I love the sound...it makes my customers realize I have a welder that does things they never seen or heard

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I also love how the machine changes sound with every different setting so you KNOW how it is set simply by the sound it makes. Low hz makes a clicking sound like a racoon and higher chirps like a bird!! Pulse just intensifies it all together.
                        When I go work in shops with my Dynasty that also weld I make sure I run the gammit on changing the hz and pulse just so they know I got something they don't and don't understand for that matter. Arrogant but I hate teaching my customers how to compete with me.
                        It is so loud that you can hear it over the Bobcat a couple hundred feet away if conditions are right...people know when I'm bustin" @$$

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

FusionKing said:
                          I love the sound...it makes my customers realize I have a welder that does things they never seen or heard.

There's a line in the movie "Blade Runner", that says something like: "I've seen things, been places and done things your mind can't imagine."

Added FusionKing's quote so Root would understand.
                          Last edited by Craig in Denver; 02-25-2008, 08:03 PM.
                          RETIRED desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                          sigpic

Comment

Craig seems to have started babbling incoherently again. Next he is going to tell us that he was the one that said that in Blade Runner.

Comment

Originally posted by root View Post
                              I wonder though, can one claiming humility truly be such?
                              Who's incoherent?
                              RETIRED desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
                                Who's incoherent?
                                Yeah?!?! Well... yo mama!

And, at least my incoherency encircled transcendent reflection leading down the corridor of internal wisdom and ethereal tranquility.

Comment

Working...
                                X