X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• three turbos
    started a topic band saw?????

band saw?????

Hey guys, looking at buying a portable band saw it appears dewalts deep cut version is just a scoash bigger than the milwaukee, and the dewalt also comes with a case. Anyone with pros or cons on this would be great. I dont have the floor space for an upright so I will probably do as I have seen others do here and make a mount for the bench.Thanks in advance Eric

• surfside
    replied
    I guess you have a pretty good looking saw in your shop. Donít forget to put coolants or lubricants to maintain its beauty and preserve your blades. I am using AF2000, a semi-synthetic solution that cools and lubricates extending tool life. It would surely avoid rust from eating your saw.

Leave a comment:

• CharleyL
    replied
    I recently purchased a new DeWalt Portaband and soon found that I frequently wished to use it as a stationary band saw. While deciding how to make a table and stand for it I found that SWAG Offroad makes several versions of tables and stands to fit these saws. Their design seemed far better than what I had planned to build, so I purchased SWAG's V3 table/stand from their website.

With the version 3 a small square table bolts onto the saw in place of the DeWalt supplied narrow table/strip. This new table then fits closely into a U shaped cut-out in a larger table/stand when needed for bench use. The design allows for the the saw and the small table insert to be easily removed from the table/stand for portable use and then quickly and easily replaced back into the table/stand when needed for bench use. The table/stand comes with miter gauge slots on both sides of the blade that allow a standard miter gauge with a 3/4 X 3/8 bar to be used with it. This works OK, but I've found that I use the miter gauge more as a push block than I do for precise miter cutting.

I'm very pleased with how well the saw and stand work together. They have proven to be very handy for cutting out small parts. My only wish is that SWAG had provided a rust preventive finish on their product because here in the Southeast unprotected steel rusts very quickly. I have to remember to oil it before putting it away or I will be sanding the rust off the next time that I want to use it.

Charley

Leave a comment:

• Fishinbo
    replied
    For the portable band saw machines, consider Trajan, Jet and Dayton brands. They come in various machine models (depending on your needs) and also in fairly reasonable prices.

Leave a comment:

• captkipp
    replied
    Porta band

I've got both a Milwaukee and a Porter cable. The milwaukee stays in the work trailer most of the time and the Porter Cable is on the truck. Either way, they both work well. But do your homework. Best to buy a better tool once, even if it costs more. Buying Hobo freight stuff just doesn't "cut" it for me.

Leave a comment:

• wrench3047
    replied
    I have a Milwaukee Portaband, the only complaint is the top handle shattered while in the case early in its life. I've had it for about 8 yrs, 7 and change without the top handle. It is still pretty easy to control without though, so I never bothered trying to find or make a replacement.

Leave a comment:

• three turbos
    replied
    Yes I definitely agree, I am currently using my buddies milwaukee and I realy like it will be looking to buy one soon.

Leave a comment:

• miller02
    replied
    Milwaukee Bandsaw

I use a Milwaukee Bandsaw, brand, reputation, reliability, and use of tool, not only for hand cuts, but for bench mounted, see attached (jpg.)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• csedan510
    replied
    I have a Porter Cable and I'll be looking for some mounting holes tomorrow. I love the saw, btw, I have had it for 10 years and have had to do nothing to it but change the blades.

Leave a comment:

• kiwi
    replied
    Piniongear,
    That video was excellent. Thanks for sharing.
    Nick

Leave a comment:

• piniongear
    replied
    No one has mentioned a Makita. That is what I bought and it is top rate quality.
    Easier to make a stand for it as well, over the Milwaukee or the DeWalt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH43d...1&feature=plcp
    pg

Leave a comment:

• Tim B
    replied
    one of the reasons that the milwaukee has gone the cheap route is because they are now partially owned by home depot

Leave a comment:

• Diverdude
    replied
    I bought the Dewalt about 3 months ago and Love it. Taken it to work a few times, shop foreman used it Friday and went to get the shop one today.

Leave a comment:

• three turbos
    replied
    Thanks for all the input guys, I kinda figured it was a toss up between the two however i do like the light feature on the dewalt guess it will come down to the best deal. I realy like the stand you made for it thats what im talking about.Im currently useing a dewalt chop saw and in a small garage with a car btween the smell, noise and sparks I have had enough! They have there place yes just not in a garage just my .02 Thanks guys any chance on getting the dimensions of the plate ya used.

Leave a comment:

• BD1
    replied
    Hi, used both but personally have older milwaukee. the dewalt are more compact and have better rubber fall protection.Look for the best deal. Best to get two with one set up on bench or stand and other for shop use. Once you set it up for bench you will not want to go back to free hand.Heres is something like what I made from another post.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ght=band+stand . this is awesome, i mount mine to a car 15" rim and its been there ever since! Its so handy that I left it and bought another! you cannot go wrong with either one. Check Craigs list for a used one and set up on stand and buy new for portable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X