Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

band saw?????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porta band

I've got both a Milwaukee and a Porter cable. The milwaukee stays in the work trailer most of the time and the Porter Cable is on the truck. Either way, they both work well. But do your homework. Best to buy a better tool once, even if it costs more. Buying Hobo freight stuff just doesn't "cut" it for me.

Comment

For the portable band saw machines, consider Trajan, Jet and Dayton brands. They come in various machine models (depending on your needs) and also in fairly reasonable prices.

Comment

I recently purchased a new DeWalt Portaband and soon found that I frequently wished to use it as a stationary band saw. While deciding how to make a table and stand for it I found that SWAG Offroad makes several versions of tables and stands to fit these saws. Their design seemed far better than what I had planned to build, so I purchased SWAG's V3 table/stand from their website.

With the version 3 a small square table bolts onto the saw in place of the DeWalt supplied narrow table/strip. This new table then fits closely into a U shaped cut-out in a larger table/stand when needed for bench use. The design allows for the the saw and the small table insert to be easily removed from the table/stand for portable use and then quickly and easily replaced back into the table/stand when needed for bench use. The table/stand comes with miter gauge slots on both sides of the blade that allow a standard miter gauge with a 3/4 X 3/8 bar to be used with it. This works OK, but I've found that I use the miter gauge more as a push block than I do for precise miter cutting.

I'm very pleased with how well the saw and stand work together. They have proven to be very handy for cutting out small parts. My only wish is that SWAG had provided a rust preventive finish on their product because here in the Southeast unprotected steel rusts very quickly. I have to remember to oil it before putting it away or I will be sanding the rust off the next time that I want to use it.

Charley

Comment

I guess you have a pretty good looking saw in your shop. Donít forget to put coolants or lubricants to maintain its beauty and preserve your blades. I am using AF2000, a semi-synthetic solution that cools and lubricates extending tool life. It would surely avoid rust from eating your saw.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.