No announcement yet.

Some pics of welding practice in school, feel free to offer opinions/advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did my first bend test today, 1G open root, 6010 root and hot passes with 7018 fill and caps. Talk about nerve wracking waiting for it to be bent, in front of the whole class. Turned out well though.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Comment

im currently going to school as well 2 quarters in and i didnt know they did bend tests on anything but verticle and direct overhead. the flat just seems trivial but i guess every schools different.

Comment

our instructors have said flat position welding would be the hardest to bend without cracking due to the fact that theres much more of a chance for slag to get trapped in the toes of the weld .. slag inclusion .. which of course will aid in the cracking process

but knowning them all is useful and fun to do i find

we are doing GMAW welding now, it's pretty neat

been practicing some Vertical Up fillet welds
        feel free to add comments or constructive criticism

(i never knocked off the little bits of slag that is visible)

Comment

Lookin' good. Consistency is probably the most difficult thing to master when you're learning....... and teaching. On your verts; faster across the middle and point the electrode into the parent metal with a short pause on the sides. Everyone figures out what works best for them in time but you might also try moving faster horizontally with less upward progression. Hope this makes sense, kinda hard to explain on a keyboard!

Comment

Working...
          X