Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grease and Grime?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease and Grime?

Whats the best way to clean the dirt and grime off of metal before going to paint?

I use oileater-spray it on full strength, then wipe it off with a rag in a diluted solution. Costco sells oileater and I've gotten it at Checker auto. cat

Comment

Originally posted by Gsd34me View Post
      Whats the best way to clean the dirt and grime off of metal before going to paint?
      I try to get the worst of it with a wire brush, wipe it down with a clean rag, then go over it with a rag dampened with mineral spirits, making sure its wet enough you dont just smear the dirt around.

Comment

Agree,

If you are dealing with a small amount of material, the above options are great. However, we generally clean 2 to 400 pounds of material at a time and use a pressure washer and and bio-degradable degreaser (orange peal oil) and then dry with a propane heat blower and of course towels.

Good luck,

TacMig

Comment

simple green, and water mixure in a weed sprayer then wipe down with sponge, then pressure wash

Comment

Great replies! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.