Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic Miller 135 or 175

Miller 135 or 175

New to the board and looking on advice on my first purchase. I have 110 and 220 at the house so power is not a factor except for portability. Cost is not a factor as I would rather spend more now than wish I had later.

I will be doing projects around the house for fun. I dont even know how to weld but when I went to have a gokart frame made for my daughter everyone was charging around $65 an hour and said it would take 6-8 hours. Did not take me long to figure out I would be better off buying a welder and learning to mig weld.

Am I better off with a 175 vs a 135 for hobby and home use. Would a 135 even be able to weld a kart frame. Im looking at 1x.083 square tubing for most of the frame. Of course this is just my first project other than alot of practice before I start the frame. What about making a trailer. I know alot has to do with the steel thickness and cost is not an issue so wich one would I be better off with?

Anyone ever bought the 135 and which they had the 175? Why???

Any opinions are greatly appreciated

Thanks

Brad

• Manny
    replied
    If you have access to 220, I'd definatly go that route, or a 110/220 capable machine. I have a Passport that runs on 110 or 220 and does all I need and then some. It's also very easy on my electrical system, stores easily in my VERY packed and cramped 1 car garage, and is easily transported in my VW car. If portability isn't an issue a DVI would be great and give the option of eventually adding a spool gun if wanted. I wish I could talk the boss into getting one for work, it'd be ideal for use in our shop which has 20amp 110 circuits throughout, but only a few 220's.
    Manny

Leave a comment:

• sjmiller
    replied
    I found myself in a similar situation a few years back, I needed some repair work done on my RV - stress cracks on the bumper where the tool box mounted, and my spare tire support. I've always wanted to learn to weld and the cost of buying a welder versus having it done was close enough to make it a DIY project. After much reading (cost & power not really a factor) and sole searching (what additional home projects was I likely to do) the 135 became the logical choice. I took a couple of classes at the local welding supply store, bought scrap from the local metal supply store and had fun "arcing and sparking" practicing welds.

As I'm sure you have gathered from reading the various posts here, the first welder purchase starts you down the slippery slope of "Tim the Tool Man Taylor". As a home/hobbyist welder - I work more with the thinner metals, and I wanted to do some Aluminium projects. My second welder was a Dynasty 200DX, now I could do stick for thicker stock if needed, TIG for my sheet metal projects, and aluminum. Now that I had multiprocess capability, an adjustable Auto-Darkening helment was needed. You are now building stuff - you need to be able to drill fairly precise holes - throw in a drill press. If you are doing TIG welding you need a grinding wheel dedicated to tungsten, and you don't want to be changing grinding wheels - add a second grinder. The chop saw and angle cutoff grinder worked fine when chopping small stock with straight cuts. The next addition to the tool chest was a Spectrum 375 plasma cutter, which required an upgrade to a 25 gal compressor that could maintain CFM requirements.

My point being - you need to decide if it is a one shot deal or the start of something bigger. The latest addition to my shop is a CNC X-Y plasma cutting table, with plans to buy the Z-axis upgrade in the near future.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• welder1960
    replied
    Originally posted by loveswelding
    I was looking at smaller models (Lincolns and Hobarts at Home Depot) when my husband offered to buy me a new welder for my birthday. Made a visit to a local welding supply store, and the sales rep recommended the MM210. We decided on the 210 and, three years later, I couldn't be happier! I'm a sculptor, and the MM210 is just amazing. I've yet to hit on something it can't handle.

If you check around, many times Miller offers a promotional deal. My welder came with an AD helmet. Takes a little getting used to, but well worth it when it come to eye protection.
    I think(and you know) you made a great decision. For all-around work, the MM210 is perfect. Sculpture can take you in any direction so, having a machine that can accomodate that is the most anyone could ask for. I do so many different kinds of work which necessitates owning several machines. The MM135 is the only MIG machine I currently own but it does what I need it to.

Leave a comment:

• loveswelding
    replied
    I was looking at smaller models (Lincolns and Hobarts at Home Depot) when my husband offered to buy me a new welder for my birthday. Made a visit to a local welding supply store, and the sales rep recommended the MM210. We decided on the 210 and, three years later, I couldn't be happier! I'm a sculptor, and the MM210 is just amazing. I've yet to hit on something it can't handle.

If you check around, many times Miller offers a promotional deal. My welder came with an AD helmet. Takes a little getting used to, but well worth it when it come to eye protection.

Leave a comment:

• welder1960
    replied
    A Machine For Every Type Of Job

In an effort to spend the least amount of money, we all have a tendency to buy a machine that will do every job imaginable. The 135 is a great machine for small work and portability. Mine is used for tacking mostly, finishing the weld with TIG or SMAW. If you're just starting and your material is under 1/8", the 135 is great. You'll have it as a back-up after you buy a larger, more powerful machine or one for a different process. If portability doesn't matter, go for the 175. Otherwise, as time goes by, you'll know you haven't sunk a ton of money into a machine you may not use often. As your skills improve, you'll know what direction to go in.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by medic583
    Great idea... but how long a run can ya do with the adapters?

I'm thinking most of our projects are out in the garage.... the dryers are usually in the house.
    All the adapters did was convert to the NEMA 6-50 standard. After that I had several hundred feet of extension cord with those ends. And could make more from SOOW cord with little warning.

Leave a comment:

• medic583
    replied
    Great idea... but how long a run can ya do with the adapters?

I'm thinking most of our projects are out in the garage.... the dryers are usually in the house.

Leave a comment:

• fyoung
    replied
    good idea!

Originally posted by MAC702
    I had some adapters that I made that stayed with my MM175.
    Good Idea!

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    I had some adapters that I made that stayed with my MM175. It was a rare buddy's house that didn't have a dryer receptacle, even the ones that had gas as well.

Now, I have the Passport. Best of all worlds.

Leave a comment:

• medic583
    replied
    I know this is a bit off base, but I had to decide wether or not I wanted a 135/175 about two years ago and went with the 175. I love the thing dearly , but now that the Millermatic® DVI is out... dang... wish I could've grabbed that instead.

I like the 175.... and don't mind the 220V for around the yard... but it sure would be nice to be able to plug into 110 at the buddies house every once in awhile.

Leave a comment:

• link523
    replied
    i have the 175 i have welded 1 3/4" .134 wall roll cages back halfed a car and done trailer work with it and have welded as thin as 20 gauge i love my miller 175 if i had the money i would go bigger if you plan on sticking with welding buy bigger then you need now and save your self some money in the long run

Leave a comment:

• Garfish
    replied
    AD helmet

A best first purchase maybe an auto-darkening welding helmet. More critical for stick than for mig because you can set your mig gun/wire in position more easily before you drop your lid, but my welds improved a lot when I went to an AD. Lot of people use the Harbor Freight $65 AD's, apparently with good results. Protecting my eyes worries me, so I went with the Jackson Journeyman at about $125. It is the little window (2x4") and is just the shade 3 & shade 10. Works great for hobbyist. There are other mainstream brands of helmets, too. Search at the Hobart Weldtalk on helmet and AD.

Leave a comment:

• rmack898
    replied
    Brad,

I have a MM135 and with .023 wire and C25 it does quite a good job and I'm not sorry I bought it. It exceeded my expectations for a 110 volt machine with a 20% duty cycle. If cost and portability is not an issue, then get yourself a MM210 and don't look back. You will be able to complete your first project which will lead to more challenging future projects and you will not be limited by equipment capacity. I can stick whatever my MM135 can't handle, but a MM210 is in my budget for next month.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    You would probably find that the 135 would do most everything you've told us so far. It's those mid-size things you aren't thinking about right now that'll make you wish you'd gotten the 240V model. It doesn't cost much more and is WAY more welder.

Portability = borrowability, too.

Check this one out: http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=5632

They come in and out of stock all the time, so give them a call.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X