Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

welding (solder) 2 american coins

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding (solder) 2 american coins

I am lookind for something that can solder american coins (NOT ONE CENT) 0.05, 0.10, 0.25 cents side by side like forming an 8 and then attached another and another one like a line of 10 coins side by side. Any sugestion? Thank you. Mackie

I would shy away from that.

United States Code
    TITLE 18
    PART I
    CHAPTER 17
    § 331. Mutilation, diminution, and falsification of coins

Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes,
    falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of
    the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current
    or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States;
    or whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or
    sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into
    the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered,
    defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled, or
    lightened? Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than
    five years, or both.

Do people sometimes do this and get away with it?
    Sure they do. We've all seen it and yet no one seems to be swooping
    down on the violators to haul them off to jail.

If this is the law spelled out before us in black and white then why
    doesn?t the government prosecute everyone who does it?
    Your guess is as good as mine; but nevertheless, there?s the law, just
    as it is written.

Copied from this link...
    http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=426715

Comment

Use foreign currency

Here in Canada we routinely use US coins. In the State just use Canadian coins. Problem solved. The laws only apply to your own country and your own currency

Comment

Originally posted by Nitesky View Post
        Here in Canada we routinely use US coins. In the State just use Canadian coins. Problem solved. The laws only apply to your own country and your own currency
        Assuming that you were to use foriegn coins and that there were no legal problems..... there are a number of nickel-braze alloys that would provide a decent color match for either clad or nickel alloy coins and would be usable for either oxy-fuel or TIG process...

there are some artists that use coins in their artwork seemingly without legal problems

like the "Nickel Couch"

http://www.homedesignfind.com/furniture-2/nickel-couch/

Name:  8db7682c545cc4c82a83a5fa960f31b9.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  59.4 KB
        Last edited by H80N; 12-28-2011, 04:22 PM.

Comment

I believe this is why Johnny Swing can make his furniture using US 5 cent pieces.

Also this may explain why I see those hand cranked medal machines which turn a US penny into a souvenir.

(b) The prohibition contained in §82.1 against the treatment of 5-cent coins and one-cent coins shall not apply to the treatment of these coins for educational, amusement, novelty, jewelry, and similar purposes as long as the volumes treated and the nature of the treatment makes it clear that such treatment is not intended as a means by which to profit solely from the value of the metal content of the coins.

I will confess to putting a penny on a railroad track when I was 6 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
            United States Code
            TITLE 18
            PART I
            CHAPTER 17
            § 331. Mutilation, diminution, and falsification of coins

Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes,
            falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of
            the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current
            or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States;
            or whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or
            sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into
            the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered,
            defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled, or
            lightened? Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than
            five years, or both.

Do people sometimes do this and get away with it?
            Sure they do. We've all seen it and yet no one seems to be swooping
            down on the violators to haul them off to jail.

If this is the law spelled out before us in black and white then why
            doesn?t the government prosecute everyone who does it?
            Your guess is as good as mine; but nevertheless, there?s the law, just
            as it is written.

Copied from this link...
            http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=426715
            Just guessing here, but maybe the key word is "fraudulently"...

Comment

Yeah, when I was kid, some of the guys would file pennies down to make them work as a dime in a Coke machine. That may qualify as fraudulent.
              CG

Comment

American coins

This is an art proyect, is not to be nothing else than art proposes,

Comment

Look up Penny Hourders on Google

Recently read an article where people are stockpiling Pennys made prior to 1992. Why you ask? Copper Content. The older pennys have a fair amount of copper in them and with copper prices high right now, they are worth more by wieght than monitary value. But, because of the referenced statute listed in this thread, it would be a CRIMINAL ACT to scrap them for copper. With the growing sentiment that the penny should be done away with as money, when that is finally passed, then the penny hoarders could cash in. Also, the pennies cannot be shipped over then border to be melted down, something about illegal transport of foreign currency to intentially disrupt a government or ecomony, or something along those lines.
                  There is a bar in an antique shop in New Braunfels, TX that has all manner of coins, some of them quite rare and extremely valuable, laquered into the bar top and base pedistal. Thousands of coins on this bar, it's over 20 feet long and 3 foot wide. Haven't heard of any Feds trying to seize the bar. Buy the way, it's for sale if you have a home for it. As a matter of fact, that antique shop serves meals. If you like the table and chairs you're setting in, you can buy them too.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.