Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tow Behind Light Weight Motorcycle Trailer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow Behind Light Weight Motorcycle Trailer

I'm Building A Light Weight Trailer To Tow Behind My Harley. I Have A Trailer Now Thats To Heavy That I Built Last Year. It Was A Northern Tools Red Trailer With The 12'' Tires And A 48'' X 20'' X 20'' Aluminum Tool Box that i bolted on. It Was 230 Lbs. I'm Trying To Get This New Trailer Down To About 125 To 130 Lbs..the Problem That I'm Having Is To Get Light Weight Wheels And Axle Or Torsion Axle Which Is Most Of The Weight Of The Trailer. Does Any One Have A Suggestion On Where To Get Them or a better idea ?? DOES ANYONE THINK THAT ALUMINUM IS BETTER FOR THIS PROJECT ? i will be towing this trailer on some hard roads{ dirt ** to alaska this year. does aluminum have a better chance of cracking than steel ??
    Last edited by PIGMAN; 02-16-2008, 11:15 AM. Reason: more info

Here's one that I built a few years ago, weighed 137lbs when complete, and could be a bit less if you were careful:
    http://www1.cedar-rapids.net/tdkmoto...s/trailer.html

Part#s for the axle units are still valid.
    I did end up with a piece of 1/2" plywood between the frame and box when done, added a couple pounds, but the removed the fenders which I didn't like much. I've since built 2 more of these for friends, they work very well.

Tom

Comment

Photo Of Old Trailer

THIS IS A PHOTO OF THE TRAILER I WANT TO REPLACE

Name:  56dcbcd09d1b4df0ddf44460a45a1998.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  fd92a79a7565bd11e68fd2a7b118c7a8.jpg
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  2819f81edf8ae7e81450a32d5a168b83.jpg
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  2b528b53c6a2dab752bf03b15c2756ce.jpg
Size:  55.7 KB

Comment

Try this kind http://rrite.com/ These trailers are only 120 pounds with 13" chrome wheels. They use aluminum square tubing in the front and a torsion axle is bolted on the bottom. I built one for my bike and used regular steel. It don't have to be very thick. I also maid my hitch with an inch receiver. That way when the trailer is no needed I can still haul my cooler arond.

Comment

I am starting to build a trailer for my bike. I had one I sold and am starting again. This trailer started out as a single waverunner trailer. I have the fenders and lights in the shed, but so far I only have $100 into it and it came with a title. I am curious of the axle location. It is almost balanced as it sits. I can spin it around real easily and become tongue heavy. I plan on either build a box or skinning it with aluminum and using a car topper. I am afraid if I leave it like this and build a box it would be rear heavy. Any axle location specs? I am going to build it like the last picture. It is a cartop, but he wrapped it in diamond plate and it looks ten times better.

Comment

Here are pictures of another build like I wanna do...
            http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y18.../My%20Trailer/

Comment

I have been building one the last few weeks and mine is completely aluminum, except the torsion axle and hubs. I am at the phase of making the top right now. Mines is a bit different than most. I recessed the alum frame and axles 6” into the container I tig welded up to give me a low center of gravity. I set my axles so my outside specs are just at 40” just smaller than my bike. So if I need to take it into a tight space under the worst conditions the trailer will follow. I just saw this thread so I will post some pictures this week.

Comment

ok i have some pictures i found.
                Attached Files

Comment

and a couple more
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice job! Please post pics when completed!

Comment

I like the way you 'sunk' the storage around the tongue and axle. Every cu. in. of storage matters. So, how thick is the alum sheeting?

Comment

That is the best set up for a bike trailer that i have seen. make sure you post pics when ur done. cant wait

Comment

The alum sheeting is .100. This gives me enough thickness to not need framing. The fenders are the only part of the body so far I didn’t weld to the main box. The reasoning is I wanted the polish the fenders to a chrome like finish and paint the box the color of my bike. I just got in my sheet of alum for the top. The top will be interesting because I am designing a table into the top. A little hard to explain, I hope to have some of it done in the next few weeks to show.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.