Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets see your pics of some small projects

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was trying to catch up a bit but some super nice stuff in this thread I certainly hadn't thought of. In the second pic the bracket started as a 1 fixture unit but got extended with a conduit coupling and additional guy wire. In the last one I use that getup for service lighting near equipment. These new CF Ls will be even easier and cheaper to operate but for near a compressor or electric panel I usually use a common 100 watt incandescent lamp.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sberry; 02-23-2008, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
      I was trying to catch up a bit but some super nice stuff in this thread I certainly hadn't thought of. In the second pic the bracket started as a 1 fixture unit but got extended with a conduit coupling and additional guy wire. In the last one I use that getup for service lighting near equipment. These new CF Ls will be even easier and cheaper to operate but for near a compressor or electric panel I usually use a common 100 watt incandescent lamp.
      Novel approaches to getting light where you need it, but it's sure hazy in your shop. Don't you have an exhaust fan?

Comment

Not haze- Low MP camera

Comment

Welding corner fan

This is the welding corner with the fan in the upper left.

I was fortunate enough to pick up this hood from a place that was shutting down. It went from rectangle to 12" round which just matched up with my fan. I custom made the shroud (painted red) with a removable panel on the left to get at the motor.

Fan is in the very corner and exhausts through a Dayton shutter to the outside wall. The 90 degree elbow and the round to square are standard HVAC parts.

I bought a 3 phase motor on ebay to use with a variable speed drive. This gives me control of the fan rpm, cfm, and noise level. The fan is mounted on rubber mounts to keep down vibration.

Comment

Originally posted by EdZep View Post
            This is the only one I've got handy. Of course, the idea came from someone else on this forum.

Anybody wanna tell me how to get the threaded hole in this. Some kinda tap thing I believe but I've never done that so don't know. Anyplace to get one resonably priced, like harbor freight or NT? What are they called?

That actually may just be a nut welded onto the thing...but I'd still like to know (tap and die or something)
            Last edited by curly; 09-18-2008, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Some of my stuff

Here is some of my stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by curly View Post
                That actually may just be a nut welded onto the thing...but I'd still like to know (tap and die or something)
                Yup-Tap & Die set

They can get pricey so welding a nut on is cheaper fer sure.

Sometimes you have to anyway iffin' the material is not thick enough to provide enough meat for threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                  Yup-Tap & Die set

They can get pricey so welding a nut on is cheaper fer sure.

Sometimes you have to anyway iffin' the material is not thick enough to provide enough meat for threads.
                  So, do you find your self using them much/ever (tap and die), or usually weld the nut on?

Comment

Anybody wanna tell me how to get the threaded hole in this. Some kinda tap thing I believe but I've never done that so don't know. Anyplace to get one reasonably priced, like harbor freight or NT? What are they called?

Tap's cut threads on the inside of holes, dies cut threads on the outside of shafts.

A decent tap and die set (typically 4-40 through 1/2") will run you a couple hundred bucks. Don't waste your money on the HF/NT garbage. These are extremely handy and worth getting a good set (HSS, not carbon steel!), as the cheap crap that breaks in the hole will cost you more than the good ones when it comes to EDM the busted one out of a valuable part.

I would never use a die to cut threads on a shaft if I had another option (often its faster and you get better threads to just cut the head off a bolt), but they do become invaluable in salvaging damaged threads.

If you don't want to plunk down the cash on a full set up front, ebay has at least one outfit that offers regrinds for cheap. The other option is to keep an eye on local machinery auctions and maybe you'll get lucky like I did. I spent $150 on a Huot 4 drawer master tap index chock full of darn near everything I would ever want, and a whole bunch more I'll probably never need. The cabinet was worth $100 - the taps are probably worth over a grand.

Comment

So, do you find your self using them much/ever (tap and die), or usually weld the nut on?
                      Both.

Rough stuff I'll weld a nut on.

But on say a Finished piece like the Would Rack you wanna make, a Tap wood be used

Comment

my project

Originally posted by Gsd34me View Post
                        Please show your pics of some small projects for us board members to get some good ideas. Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredIW View Post
                          Now this one is really cool.Does it have a door somewhere that locks?

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                            Both.

Rough stuff I'll weld a nut on.

But on say a Finished piece like the Would Rack you wanna make, a Tap wood be used
                            Hey, I resemble that remark

Comment

Here's a few of mine, nothing major, and i'm waiting on the starter cart to come back from powder coat so i can get "finished pics" of it. (edit..can't find the cart pics, but the plate to hold the starter and start the bike is in here)

here's the pics (if i get the upload right hehe)

I need to find what hard-drive and folder i have the rest of my stuff in. These are some of my first projects with the new dynasty that were small and just playing around making things for myself (except the starter plate for the drag bike) Teh fuel rails are just some import car rails that were fitted with -6 AN fittings for upgraded fuel systems for E85 swaps

I'll post the new better projects as soon as i find them
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by retiredIW View Post
                                now thats a mail box more to my likein..... hmm

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.