Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

ideas to secure welder in garage

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideas to secure welder in garage

Hi. I bought my first miller 211 almost 3 years ago. unfortunately it and all of my other tools were stolen about a month later. insurance was useless, and so were the cops, and i never got a penny.

now i'm considering buying another one, but don't want to get one until i can figure out how to secure it properly.

i've been playing with some ideas of building a cage out of 3/8-1/2" flat stock that would attach and hinge off of one of the main support beams in the garage, and then pivot down over the welder and lock to the floor with 1 or 2 of those industrial hockey puck looking locks that you see on work vans sometime.

i had someone try to steal my air compressor, but i had it secured to a main support beam with a 6,000# logging chain pulled through the engine plate that is welded to the compressor, and a 10" long 3/4" bolt dipped in red locktite that went through the support beam. then i also had 2 steel plates that went over the legs of the compressor and were anchored to the floor with 1/2" bolts. they failed to steal it, and only managed to unplug the power cord.

Obviously a setup like that wouldn't quite work, as i need the welder mobile, and going through the handle is a joke since it's plastic. that's why i've been playing with a full cage idea that would be attached to the beam and the floor.

any other ideas or suggestions on how to secure a welder??? I really would like to get one again, but don't want a repeat of last time. because $2,600 is alot of money for a **** miller 211. LOL
    Last edited by scorpio_vette; 12-17-2011, 09:57 AM.

After you get your cage built make sure that you can't get to the mig gun and the welder switch because you can turn it up and burn right thru the metal. Just sayin...Bob

Comment

seems to me that it would be easier to secure whatever building your tools are stored in.....

Comment

Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
        seems to me that it would be easier to secure whatever building your tools are stored in.....
        I agree fully with you on that.
        If the OP wants to be able to move his machine easily, then a thief will do the same, but do it more quickly.

Securing an entrance door (or wherever the machine is rolled to exit the shop is much easier to do than putting the machine inside a cage.
        A lot less trouble for the owner to use as well.

I simply put two double keyed deadbolt locks on my shop door and never worry about it.
        To roll the 250 lb MM251 out of the shop they will have to open the door or remove it.
        Not going to be easy for them to do that.
        But a thief can disable anything if he has a mind to.
        Just a matter of how much time he has to do it and if he can escape without getting shot dead.
        pg

Comment

If you're paying $2,600 for a 211, someone's not shopping very smart.

Sounds to me like you got ripped off TWICE. Once from the place you bought your welder, and once from the thief.

Sounds to me like you need to take the money you didn't need to pay for a 211 and find a better insurance company.

Whole thing smells kinda fishy though.

Locks are designed to keep honest people honest. If you can use it, a decent thief (if there's such a thing) can defeat your safeguards.

Ever considered moving to a better neighorhood?

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post

Sounds to me like you got ripped off TWICE. Once from the place you bought your welder, and once from the thief.

Sounds to me like you need to take the money you didn't need to pay for a 211 and find a better insurance company.

Whole thing smells kinda fishy though.

Locks are designed to keep honest people honest. If you can use it, a decent thief (if there's such a thing) can defeat your safeguards.

I think the $2600.00 price tag is because he needs to buy the welder twice!

Comment

How to secure a welder?

I've found Colt, S&W, and H&K to be quite effective.

Renewal policy (at < $1.00/cartridge) is also quite inexpensive.

Ever consider adopting a pit bull?

Comment

paint it Red and put a Lincoln sticker on it

Good luck with your build-

Seems like the thieves had plenty of time in your shop: Rural area?

Luckily for me, the benefit of City life is that the Police arrive in about 5 mins
                when my Alarm goes off- fortunately both times were false alarms but was nice to see 4 squad cars show up ready to rumble.

With the way my personal insurance is bundled it is basically free to have the
                Coverage with a Home alarm system.

Colt, S&W, and H&K are useless if I'm not around to activate them
                Last edited by Broccoli1; 12-17-2011, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post

Colt, S&W, and H&K are useless if I'm not around to activate them
                  I am a Ruger fan myself. I have a herd of Wiener Dogs not very mean but they sure bark when the hear something...Bob

Comment

Burglar proofing welding shop

Just a few ideas.

Install the two deadbolts.
                    Fabricate a metal strap across your entry door in two places.
                    On the inside of your windows, weld circles of razor wire across and down the window area. Cover the window area with pegboard and fill the void between the glass and the pegboard with styrafoam peanuts. (saves on heat and cooling) and provides more wall space for tool storage.
                    Construct and weld a gate across your garage door bottom to top.
                    If you have a air conditioner unit, install a anti push through bar. (hot in Florida)
                    Surveillance cameras even dummy ones that just blink red will be effective.
                    Lights are a burglars worst nightmare. Light it up and install a few motion activated lights. If you are a hunter install a infared deer camera that is motion activated.
                    Finally install that alarm the rings at the local Sheriff or Police Station.
                    Insure your items with a shop policy. (There are many different types)

One of the other posters said that locks are for Honest Men and He is right. but you can save your self some heartache with these simple precautions.

Honest John
                    Tampa Chicago Paris

Comment

Originally posted by Honest John View Post

That has been on my to do list for too long. I covered over all of my ground floor windows when i sided my shop years ago...Bob

Comment

better insurance company or an understanding of your policy is easiest. adt might cost a bit more than dogs but dogs are kind of a pain.

Comment

sounds to me like sundown has the best info going, take his advice, its cheap and easy

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                            After you get your cage built make sure that you can't get to the mig gun and the welder switch because you can turn it up and burn right thru the metal. Just sayin...Bob
                            good point. will take that into consideration. Thank you

Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
                            First burglary, they broke in through the walk-through door. i replaced it with a steel door, better hinges and locks. Second burglary they more or less tore down the overhead service door. bend it and broke it right off the track. so in addition to securing the building, i want to make sure that my tools require the most amount of effort to be moved. burglars don't want to hang around for an hour having to disassemble stuff. they like to grab and run.

1)Reading comprehension my friend. Just as important a skill, if not more important, than welding.
                            2)Locks are designed to keep an honest man honest. But the longer it takes to defeat that lock, the more likely the burglar will just move on, since he doesn't have the luxury of time on his side
                            3)When i first moved there, it was a "decent neighborhood" (if there is such a thing). it got worse over the last 7years. So i not only considered moving, but moved to a place where i have no more neighbors. That doesn't mean i trust people anymore. If they cleaned me out TWICE in a crowded city neighborhood, what's to stop somebody from doing it where there are no neighbors to watch/stop them???

Originally posted by crabber View Post
                            I think the $2600.00 price tag is because he needs to buy the welder twice!
                            EXACTLY.

How to secure a welder?

I've found Colt, S&W, and H&K to be quite effective.

Renewal policy (at < $1.00/cartridge) is also quite inexpensive.

Ever consider adopting a pit bull?
                            Sure. I can offer you a choice of caliber. but even a 50cal won't stop anybody if nobody is home to pull the trigger. I can't be home 24/7.

dogs??? F*** dogs. i had 3 of them. during BOTH burglaries. notice that i said HAD??? useless waste of money.

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                            paint it Red and put a Lincoln sticker on it

Good luck with your build-

Seems like the thieves had plenty of time in your shop

Luckily for me, the benefit of City life is that the Police...........
                            1) Red, that's funny. seriously though. i have thought about disassembling it and powder coating it hot pink.
                            2) Thanks
                            3) 1st burglary was within about a 1-2hour window. i locked my garage up around 11pm, and went back out about 1am when i noticed the damage. hard to say how long it actually took them. surprisingly, not a single neighbor heard or saw anything.
                            3) my house was 2 blocks from the police station. even when i called them within 1hour of the burglary, it took them nearly 1/2 hour to get to the house. and other than stand around and ask for my phone number, they did NOTHING until i went to the station and demanded that they dust/finger print the place. Cops are about as useful as dogs. I'm amazed dispatch doesn't just give you a website to download a form that you can fill out a report yourself and mail it in.

Originally posted by Honest John View Post
                            Just a few ideas.

Install the two deadbolts.
                            Fabricate a metal strap across your entry door in two places.
                            On the inside of your windows, weld circles of razor wire across and down the window area. Cover the window area with pegboard and fill the void between the glass and the pegboard with styrafoam peanuts. (saves on heat and cooling) and provides more wall space for tool storage.
                            If you have a air conditioner unit, install a anti push through bar. (hot in Florida)
                            Surveillance cameras even dummy ones that just blink red will be effective.
                            Lights are a burglars worst nightmare. Light it up and install a few motion activated lights. If you are a hunter install a infared deer camera that is motion activated.
                            Finally install that alarm the rings at the local Sheriff or Police Station.
                            Insure your items with a shop policy. (There are many different types)

One of the other posters said that locks are for Honest Men and He is right. but you can save your self some heartache with these simple precautions.

Honest John
                            Tampa Chicago Paris
                            all valid points. but that still doesn't secure the tools.

now i know some people may think, or even mentioned that it would make it harder to move. personally i don't care if it takes me 5minutes to get my welder out of a cage, as long as i STILL HAVE A WELDER. having instant access to it won't do me any good if i'm gone.

for what it's worth, when i secured my aircompressor to the buildings support beam and anchored it to the ground, it was secure enough that it took me roughly 5-10 minutes to get the hardware loosened/cut off to be able to move the compressor when we moved away from there. and i'm the one that put it there. no burglar is going to spend that kind of time on each item. criminals of any type are all out for a easy grab. it doesn't matter if it's a burglar, purse snatcher, bank robber, etc.. none of them want to stick around any longer than necessary, because any second they could be discovered. so the more difficult i can make it for them, the more likely that i'll have my stuff when i wake up. so YES......i want OVERKILL when it comes to chaining, bolting or otherwise securing my items.

and for those wondering why i'm so paranoid.

10years of wrenching as a auto mechanic.
                            $30,000+ worth of tools
                            3 generations (30+years) worth of insurance through the same agent
                            2 burglaries

aftermath: $0.00 ZERO DOLLARS reimbursed. 10years of work GONE. S

So if i can't rely on my insurance to cover what i'm paying for, and the cops to even care (yes i had some serial numbers. they didn't even care), then i'm basically left to fend for myself.

so if anybody else has any other suggestions for securing the welder, or any improvements on my cage idea i'd be very grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by mikecwik View Post
                              better insurance company or an understanding of your policy is easiest.
                              didn't matter. insurance company had more money for lawyers than me.
                              i've switched insurance company, and hope they would take better care of me. but as far as i'm concerned, the ONLY reason i have insurance is because the law makes me. they're no better than the criminals that robbed me in my opinion.

which is why i would like to prevent the need for having to call them ever again.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.