Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steel finishing

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel finishing

Hey folks,

I'm working on some indoor coffee tables and want to give them a gunmetal/burnished look without having to dip them into a bunch of crazy hot chemicals or spray paint -- I like the look of hotrolled steel but after I grind out the junctions there's the shiny bare matel next to the dark mill scale. Any ideas? The best I've found is:
    http://www.metallicfinishes.com/
    I'm working out of my garage and I'd like to keep it simple . . .

Thanks --

oxy fuel rosebud, heat until bright red for a minute or so and let cool.

Comment

there was another place posted in my to paint or not to paint posting. i'll see if i can find it for you.

Comment

I have misted some bare metal projects with a rattle can of flat black paint and when dry, lightly by hand go over with a scuff pad and then clear coat. The paint tones down the shiny areas and has a nice raw metal effect. Home Depot sells Minwax urethane clear spray cans that have UV protecters.
        Sprays easily, dries fast.

Comment

I sprayed some salt water on it and it's sitting outside . . . maybe in a few days it'll get less shiny . . .

Comment

Originally posted by jtn View Post
            I sprayed some salt water on it and it's sitting outside . . . maybe in a few days it'll get less shiny . . .
            It will soon be a nice Rust color If this is what you want it can be a nice finish- just clear coat it.

If you don't have an O/A set up like Laiky's suggestion you can use a Mapp Torch, which can purchased at any Box Store or Local hardware store

Comment

You can use cold blue for guns. It makes a nice blue finish. Wax it with Johnson paste wax in the yellow can and forget it.
              David

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.