chain hoist A-frame help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain hoist A-frame help

I just ordered a 2 ton chain hoist for lifting heavy things out of the back of my truck, I have some strong tree branches to hook it to but I wanted to build something for it instead, something I can back my truck under, so I can place whatever it is I'm lifting where I want it, I was also thinking about making it collapsable so I can take it with me to load and unload things, maybe a pin or bolt can hold some pieces together so it can be taken down easily and transported, here is a terrible sketch i drew on my Android phone, any help or comments are much appreciated!
    Attached Files

Should give you plenty to look over...

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...st&btnG=Search
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

they are easy to build, but don't expect it to be easily portable. the one I built is technically portable, but its more than a one man job, ****, just adjusting the height is an ordeal.

Last edited by youfoundtheking; 11-11-2011, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I built one with reciever tubes on each end of the I beam so I can break it down and store it out of the way, can't find any pictures of it right now or I would attach them.
        "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Comment

2 tons? Wide enough to lift a 2-ton item out of your truck? The limiting factor here is the beam spanning the two sides.

A 100 inch (8 foot, 4 inch) span of wide flange W6-9 (like an I-beam but more stable) will take that load with about 3/16" deflection and peak stress of 18,000 PSI. For ASTM A36 material, this gives a factor of safety of 2 against yield (ASTM A36 material in this section has a minimum yield stress of 36,000 PSI).

This material weighs 9 pounds per foot. That span is a good 75 pounds without the chain hoist.

Now for the A-frame design. Instead of an A, make it a complete triangle. Use the same material. Width is all dependent on height. Diagonal gussets at the cross beam to triangle intersection is also a good idea. For a quick take-down, the design becomes more complex.

Comment

I have loaded mine about as much as I wanted to, ha, as I recall we measured it. I had a cobbled up beam and found another one. I raised and spread legs a little, will roll thru 14 door. I like it because although it has a home it can be moved around shop.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Sberry; 11-12-2011, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys, I have a much better idea of what I'm gonna be building now

Comment

I re-did mine a couple of times over the years. Made the wheels from pipe. When I upgraded the beam it was about 20 ft and I cut it to 18, made it a bit stronger and the fit in the building worked out as good as it could, give enough width that could remove something from a truck and carriage it sideways, set on floor, is wide enough that projects sitting under it that doesnt cause crowding.
                I had 2 beams, used one I should have used another for and had intended on building a different unit that mounted to building post on one end, this I had already and was portable, I really didnt need 2, its liveable in the way and works.
                I built a small one for a Bud, post at wall is for load but hinges on it, the close leg arcs and rotates.
                Attached Files

Comment

Where do I find those rollers that hook to the I beam? Or how can I make one?

Comment

Do a search on the web for "I-beam trolly".
                    MM250
                    Trailblazer 250g
                    22a feeder
                    Lincoln ac/dc 225
                    Victor O/A
                    MM200 black face
                    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                    Arco roto-phase model M
                    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                    Miller spectrum 875
                    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                    Syncrowave 250
                    RCCS-14

Comment

I've found craigslist to be a good source of low cost beam trolleys and hoists

Comment

Jet

http://www.cpojettools.com/jet-troll...efault,sc.html
                        MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
                        Just For Home Projects.

Comment

I'll probaby just end up making a trolley, those suckers are pricey!

Comment

The manual 2 ton from Jet is 129$, if someone gives you the materials and your time is worth about a dollar an hour it would be practical to make one.

Comment

I can get the materials pretty easily, and time isn't really an issue, it would be better than spending a hundred bucks, and give me a little project to work on

Comment

Working...
                              X