Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

chain hoist A-frame help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain hoist A-frame help

I just ordered a 2 ton chain hoist for lifting heavy things out of the back of my truck, I have some strong tree branches to hook it to but I wanted to build something for it instead, something I can back my truck under, so I can place whatever it is I'm lifting where I want it, I was also thinking about making it collapsable so I can take it with me to load and unload things, maybe a pin or bolt can hold some pieces together so it can be taken down easily and transported, here is a terrible sketch i drew on my Android phone, any help or comments are much appreciated!
    Attached Files

Should give you plenty to look over...

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...st&btnG=Search

Comment

they are easy to build, but don't expect it to be easily portable. the one I built is technically portable, but its more than a one man job, ****, just adjusting the height is an ordeal.

Last edited by youfoundtheking; 11-11-2011, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I built one with reciever tubes on each end of the I beam so I can break it down and store it out of the way, can't find any pictures of it right now or I would attach them.

Comment

2 tons? Wide enough to lift a 2-ton item out of your truck? The limiting factor here is the beam spanning the two sides.

A 100 inch (8 foot, 4 inch) span of wide flange W6-9 (like an I-beam but more stable) will take that load with about 3/16" deflection and peak stress of 18,000 PSI. For ASTM A36 material, this gives a factor of safety of 2 against yield (ASTM A36 material in this section has a minimum yield stress of 36,000 PSI).

This material weighs 9 pounds per foot. That span is a good 75 pounds without the chain hoist.

Now for the A-frame design. Instead of an A, make it a complete triangle. Use the same material. Width is all dependent on height. Diagonal gussets at the cross beam to triangle intersection is also a good idea. For a quick take-down, the design becomes more complex.

Comment

I have loaded mine about as much as I wanted to, ha, as I recall we measured it. I had a cobbled up beam and found another one. I raised and spread legs a little, will roll thru 14 door. I like it because although it has a home it can be moved around shop.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Sberry; 11-12-2011, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys, I have a much better idea of what I'm gonna be building now

Comment

I re-did mine a couple of times over the years. Made the wheels from pipe. When I upgraded the beam it was about 20 ft and I cut it to 18, made it a bit stronger and the fit in the building worked out as good as it could, give enough width that could remove something from a truck and carriage it sideways, set on floor, is wide enough that projects sitting under it that doesnt cause crowding.
                I had 2 beams, used one I should have used another for and had intended on building a different unit that mounted to building post on one end, this I had already and was portable, I really didnt need 2, its liveable in the way and works.
                I built a small one for a Bud, post at wall is for load but hinges on it, the close leg arcs and rotates.
                Attached Files

Comment

Where do I find those rollers that hook to the I beam? Or how can I make one?

Comment

Do a search on the web for "I-beam trolly".

Comment

I've found craigslist to be a good source of low cost beam trolleys and hoists

Comment

Jet

http://www.cpojettools.com/jet-troll...efault,sc.html

Comment

I'll probaby just end up making a trolley, those suckers are pricey!

Comment

The manual 2 ton from Jet is 129$, if someone gives you the materials and your time is worth about a dollar an hour it would be practical to make one.

Comment

I can get the materials pretty easily, and time isn't really an issue, it would be better than spending a hundred bucks, and give me a little project to work on

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.