Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Block

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Engine Block

    Ok I got this cummins engine block that has a hole in it. would you guys say that this would be able to be welded? I have the piece that was knocked out. I think its cast steel. would I be able to MIG weld it?
    thanks.Name:  a6977e7f19039a6f8d85daf3ae3b0dab.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  131.4 KB

  • #2
    Its cast iron, not a material for the inexperienced to be attempting. If it showed up at my shop I would pass on it. No way to put a gaurantee on that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Read up here good info

      http://www.locknstitch.com/cummins_5_9_block.htm

      R

      Comment


      • #4
        lol, I was just about to ask if that was the dreaded 53 block

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dre40 View Post
          Ok I got this cummins engine block that has a hole in it. would you guys say that this would be able to be welded? I have the piece that was knocked out. I think its cast steel. would I be able to MIG weld it?
          thanks.Name:  a6977e7f19039a6f8d85daf3ae3b0dab.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  131.4 KB
          I 2nd the locknstitch. Yes you could mig weld it but first you need a $75.00 spool of cast iron mig wire. Deff not a first time job. If you were by me i would do it...Bob

          Comment


          • #6
            I agree with fabricator ( You just cannot guarantee it )

            A Metal master, The process you chose to weld it with is not as significant, Its more about proceedure, how far to weld, when to peen ETC.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
              I agree with fabricator ( You just cannot guarantee it )

              A Metal master, The process you chose to weld it with is not as significant, Its more about proceedure, how far to weld, when to peen ETC.
              Yup. There are countless ways to fix it and lots of procedures depending on the way...Bob

              Comment


              • #8
                Lock n stitch

                Originally posted by dre40 View Post
                Ok I got this cummins engine block that has a hole in it. would you guys say that this would be able to be welded? I have the piece that was knocked out. I think its cast steel. would I be able to MIG weld it?
                thanks.Name:  a6977e7f19039a6f8d85daf3ae3b0dab.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  131.4 KB
                Use the Lock n stitch process and don't take chances with the block. Threw a rod on track loader and put 4 inch hole in block. That's been six years ago and not a problem at all.

                Comment


                • #9
                  non stressed

                  Hello if the piece is not under any stess or wear if it is the part between the bottom of cylinders and where the oil pan bolts just weld it it's job mostly is to keep the oil from leaking out.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    flame spray

                    I have used a flame spray torch made by ESAB which is the only way I would repair cast iron. For more details on how it works you could go online and look it up. But I have had a lot of success with it. Basically it's a oxygen and acetylene torch with a built in hoper and when depress the trigger you start spraying metal which has the same properties has the cast iron base metal so it will cool at the same rate so you don't get any crakes. Its truly awesome. I know my company stocks them at www.airweld.net but you can find them all over. Good luck.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CSTKmauro View Post
                      I have used a flame spray torch made by ESAB which is the only way I would repair cast iron. For more details on how it works you could go online and look it up. But I have had a lot of success with it. Basically it's a oxygen and acetylene torch with a built in hoper and when depress the trigger you start spraying metal which has the same properties has the cast iron base metal so it will cool at the same rate so you don't get any crakes. Its truly awesome. I know my company stocks them at www.airweld.net but you can find them all over. Good luck.
                      Wow, those things or over $3K.. Ouch. Looks just like a reg oxy/acet with a hopper.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mikeb9550 View Post
                        Wow, those things or over $3K.. Ouch. Looks just like a reg oxy/acet with a hopper.
                        I sold a brand new one for 200...Bob

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I believe a seemingly primal approach to this issue will suffice, I was told by a welding consultant that when working with a cast iron engine block, any rod cast metal may be used (after being heated to roughly 250) then dipped into a granular flux, once cooled and used as a typical filler rod in the Oxy-fuel process.as far as I understood from the lecture...the preheating of both pieces is crucial for complete fusion.
                          Hope this is helpful!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.