Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding table... another one, why not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    No matter what I'm welding I try to put the seams either facing in or down. This kind of hides the seam. Most times it doesn't really matter, just a habit I got into many years ago.

    Also a good habit is to continue your welds slightly around the corner so you don't end up with the little holes where the welds meet in the corners.
    Last edited by MMW; 10-30-2011, 11:29 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by MMW View Post
      No matter what I'm welding I try to put the seams either facing in or down. This kind of hides the seam. Most times it doesn't really matter, just a habit I got into many years ago.

      Also a good habit is to continue your welds slightly around the corner so you don't end up with the little holes where the welds meet in the corners.
      Yeah I started kind of doing that at the end... it was one of those light bulb moments for me haha

      BTW squaring up metal... sucks. So much easier to square up wood.

      I also biffed on the top, I was supposed to cut the 48" widths down to 44" so I would have 2" overhang on each side. (Way to go genius) So now I have 2" front and back and none on the sides. It isn't a deal killer, chances are I will be replacing the top at some point anyways and use the old top as a shelf or something.

      Bought the castors last night, came out to $62 and some change. Killer pricey. :-/
      Miller Mig 140 Autoset (2010)
      Miller Syncrowave 250 (1996)

      I have a lot to learn.

      -Joe

      Comment


      • #18
        So now I'm in a predicament with the wheels. The base of the table is obviously 2" for the tubing.

        The wheel base has a foot print of 2.5" So the holes are pretty much blocked :-( I may have to make a base plate to weld to the table with threaded stand offs for the bolts.


        I wonder if insetting the wheels diagonally would be an issue...
        Last edited by 550; 11-01-2011, 09:55 AM.
        Miller Mig 140 Autoset (2010)
        Miller Syncrowave 250 (1996)

        I have a lot to learn.

        -Joe

        Comment


        • #19
          Flush the plate...

          ...to the outside corners and weld away! Why waist time bolting?
          MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
          Just For Home Projects.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
            ...to the outside corners and weld away! Why waist time bolting?
            That's exactly what my buddy told me. haha
            Miller Mig 140 Autoset (2010)
            Miller Syncrowave 250 (1996)

            I have a lot to learn.

            -Joe

            Comment


            • #21
              You must have...

              Originally posted by 550 View Post
              That's exactly what my buddy told me. haha
              ... smart friends...lol
              MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
              Just For Home Projects.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
                ... smart friends...lol
                Mayyyyyyyybe

                Also some pics!

                I'm really working on my "design" of the weld itself to try and make it look "cool"



                Miller Mig 140 Autoset (2010)
                Miller Syncrowave 250 (1996)

                I have a lot to learn.

                -Joe

                Comment


                • #23
                  2 mas


                  Miller Mig 140 Autoset (2010)
                  Miller Syncrowave 250 (1996)

                  I have a lot to learn.

                  -Joe

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    See...

                    ...I like it. Might have been a little lighter on the weld though, so it was easier to replace...but again, who cares, grinding is fun for the outside chance you would need to.
                    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
                    Just For Home Projects.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
                      ...I like it. Might have been a little lighter on the weld though, so it was easier to replace...but again, who cares, grinding is fun for the outside chance you would need to.
                      We got a good laugh out of how hard core I welded it all up haha.

                      I put the two back (fixed) wheels on first. And I had it so you can pull the table out to you if you need to, and couple of friends were like way to go... you should have had the fixed wheels on the left side parallel with the front of the table not perpendicular so you could steer it through tighter spaces. Hind site is 20/20 I guess.

                      I may also increase the over hang in the front since I actually only plan to move the table to clean. And I'd like an over head bar in back for hanging my mask and some other eye safety devices I like to keep around. As well as underneath TIG rod holders.

                      Going to check out the "scrap" bin at the supply place and see what they got and try and get creative.


                      More updates this weekend hopefully!
                      Miller Mig 140 Autoset (2010)
                      Miller Syncrowave 250 (1996)

                      I have a lot to learn.

                      -Joe

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Boom! Finished the top!


                        Tabs are my mounting solution:




                        more...
                        Attached Files
                        Miller Mig 140 Autoset (2010)
                        Miller Syncrowave 250 (1996)

                        I have a lot to learn.

                        -Joe

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          hang things here:

                          Like this:

                          With welds like these:

                          Dont forget to roundy the edges...
                          Miller Mig 140 Autoset (2010)
                          Miller Syncrowave 250 (1996)

                          I have a lot to learn.

                          -Joe

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            WOW, I really like the way you built this table, alot of great idea's..Keep up the good work..only thing I would have done different would have been to add small plates to bolt the wheels on, so if they break you can replace them with ease..What did you use to round the edges of the table with?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Corbinworks View Post
                              WOW, I really like the way you built this table, alot of great idea's..Keep up the good work..only thing I would have done different would have been to add small plates to bolt the wheels on, so if they break you can replace them with ease..What did you use to round the edges of the table with?
                              Thanks!

                              Yeah, my only peeve on the table was not planning better for the wheels, but I figure I can just cut them off if I really need to haha

                              I used a flap disc and it made it SUPER quick. I took the cap off a smaller can of hobby spray paint to trace a nice round edge and then just kept smoothing it over.
                              Miller Mig 140 Autoset (2010)
                              Miller Syncrowave 250 (1996)

                              I have a lot to learn.

                              -Joe

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X