Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding table... another one, why not?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Welding table... another one, why not?

    Well I need a table for TIG welding (that isn't made out of wood LOL )

    So I looked up a bunch of different ways people were doing it, and I decided to try and keep it as budget minded as possible (which isn't easy).

    I am essentially building a bottom and then attaching a table top separate just in case the table top warps or I want to go with something different in the future. I haven't decided how I will mount the top yet but it is 2'x4' 3/16 A36 hot roll since I can't afford much more than that.

    The base will be inset 2" all the way around to allow for clamping room and possibility of adding a 4" or 5" vise as well. The base is comprised of 2" square 1/8" thick.

    Here are a few pics:










    I have a drawing of the dimensions I will post a pic of later.

    Total cost into this: $258.67 At the moment, that is metal only. (Although I did run out of wire last night while welding :-( ) More pics to come!

  • #2
    550,

    I have made several welding tables over the years and each one was (I thought ) the best and last one.

    But each new one builds upon the knowledge and drawbacks of the previous version.

    It is always a tough call to balance cost versus features.

    Champagne tastes and desires on a beer budget.

    I do like your idea of separate base and top so you can upgrade or modify later.

    This is your table - personalize it.

    Steel and welding are like clay to a potter.

    Always easy to rework although steel may be a bit easier to rework than clay which has been fired.

    Good luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Burnt hands View Post
      550,

      I have made several welding tables over the years and each one was (I thought ) the best and last one.

      But each new one builds upon the knowledge and drawbacks of the previous version.

      It is always a tough call to balance cost versus features.

      Champagne tastes and desires on a beer budget.

      I do like your idea of separate base and top so you can upgrade or modify later.

      This is your table - personalize it.

      Steel and welding are like clay to a potter.

      Always easy to rework although steel may be a bit easier to rework than clay which has been fired.

      Good luck.
      Thanks, I figure this will go through some different iterations. I should have some more pics soon.

      It's a slow build, I have so many other things going on... and my TIG argon valve seems to be bad so I gotta replace that now too. It never ends LOL

      Comment


      • #4
        If all you bought was 1 length of 2x2x1/8x 24' & 1 pc 3/16x2'x4' for $260 you should look for a new supplier. That is only about 140# so you paid double what I would pay.

        Maybe an expanded metal shelf underneath & some hooks to hang stuff. A bar running from leg to leg about 6 inches below the top for hanging clamps.

        Why not mount the top with counter sunk screws? Or you can just put a few tacks that can be easily ground off if needed.

        Comment


        • #5
          I bought 33' worth of 2x2 sq at 1/8"

          And then the top plate..


          Is that closer to what you pay?

          I will definitely have some kind of hooks, and I was thinking counter sinking the screws into the frame through the top. That maybe the best idea. Once I get the base built completely I will have a better look at it. (Especially with the casters on)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 550; 10-25-2011, 06:15 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            One thing I notice;

            You paid no attention to the direction of the seam…might matter, might not. Just something I noticed and something to think about. I know it is just 1/8” but drill and tapping it might have been an option especially with thicker tube. Not saying you can’t the way you did it, just might give you more trouble.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
              You paid no attention to the direction of the seam…might matter, might not. Just something I noticed and something to think about. I know it is just 1/8” but drill and tapping it might have been an option especially with thicker tube. Not saying you can’t the way you did it, just might give you more trouble.
              Touche. I really did over look it. Hmm :-/ That may end up being my bottom piece then.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have found that welding is so much faster than the drill/tap/screw/bolt approach that I rarely use fasteners in my projects if I can design things to be welded instead.

                You might object and say, "But what if I want to change tops?" - think long and hard about how much time it will take to grind out/cut the old one off and weld the new one versus unbolting/unscrewing then going through the whole drill/tap exercise again on the new top.

                I suspect that at worst the time will be about the same, but in reality I believe that welding is faster and easier than fasteners. Remember - you don't need a continuous weld along the entire top/frame joint - it should be an intermittent or stitch weld.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gwiley View Post
                  I have found that welding is so much faster than the drill/tap/screw/bolt approach that I rarely use fasteners in my projects if I can design things to be welded instead.

                  You might object and say, "But what if I want to change tops?" - think long and hard about how much time it will take to grind out/cut the old one off and weld the new one versus unbolting/unscrewing then going through the whole drill/tap exercise again on the new top.

                  I suspect that at worst the time will be about the same, but in reality I believe that welding is faster and easier than fasteners. Remember - you don't need a continuous weld along the entire top/frame joint - it should be an intermittent or stitch weld.
                  I do agree with you 100% but I didn't have enough to spring for a 1/2" top. I had to cut the budget somewhere :-/

                  My thoughts were to weld on nuts to the table base (as opposed to drill/tapping) I hate tapping things, and maybe that's just because I don't do it a lot (Although with how much I do automotive wise... I should probably get with the program hah)

                  I do agree also, that drilling holes accurately in this top could be more of a pain in the butt than it's worth.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Tapping...

                    I would not "tap" the table top. As a matter of fact, I would not tap the cross members. I would drill and counter sink the top and drill the cross members to match for self-tapping fasteners...My 2 cents...again.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
                      I would not "tap" the table top. As a matter of fact, I would not tap the cross members. I would drill and counter sink the top and drill the cross members to match for self-tapping fasteners...My 2 cents...again.
                      Yeah there is no way I'm tapping anything. I Just hate tapping things so much.

                      The whole seam thing is bugging me now LOL

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Seam...

                        Don't sweat it...it’s not going to affect your project anyway. Just remember it next time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          More picturesssssss




                          This next one was my second downward weld.. (the first one sucked.) I was happy with this one: the rest got better.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Another top to bottom weld:



                            I'm loving every minute of this project honestly. I wasn't going to weld every single spot where the tubes met, but I was having so much fun I just went for it. LOL

                            Also these pics may not be in order... some more to come.


                            Already serving some purpose.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Better purpose... better beer:


                              Some of the things that help me out a bit... especially my eyes, my face and my hair.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.