Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable Band Saw Stand

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Band Saw Stand

Last week I decided to buy a Makita portable band saw because I want to use it to cut out small brackets and tabs.
    For the past 30 years I have been using a hack saw and finally got sick of that!
    Of course you are not going to safely cut a small bracket out while holding the band saw in your hand, so a stand was needed.
    I just cut some 1-1/2 inch box tubing and used 1-1/2 inch channel for the base.
    The Makita has two threaded holes in the top of it and I used these to secure the saw to the frame.
    A small tab on the right sticks out and the saw body sits on that.
    I also made a larger table for the saw to replace the tiny sliver of metal that came with it.........

The saw is rock solid. All I have to do is grab the handle and carry it where ever I need to go.
    pg

Looks great!!! As long as it gets things done without getting hurt is the main thing. I could probably use that from time to time, I'm getting tired of the hacksaw at home as well. I have use of some vertical band saws but they're all big and not too good for small stuff. The other nice thing about that set up is it takes up a small footprint and can easily be stored under the work table when you're not using it. Also it looks like it can be detached quickly enough for when you need to cut long pieces or structural stuff.

Like they say necessity is the mother of invention. Good job!!!

Comment

Can you post more photo's...I have been thinking of doing the same thing...thanxs

Comment

Originally posted by Corbinworks View Post
        Can you post more photo's...I have been thinking of doing the same thing...thanxs
        I will be glad to do that.
        I am trying to load a video of the stand on You Tube right now, and as soon as it is done I will post it.
        Thought a video will show more detail than a few pics.
        pg

Comment

Corbin,
          Here is the greater detail of the portable band saw stand you asked for.
          Hope it helps you make yours.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zEcrMNCLDLY
          pg

Comment

Good job. I'm going to get the same saw and make one.
            Video is well done, thanks for the dimensions, etc.
            JD

Comment

wow what a cool mount for your band saw rig. I would like to create one of those one day.

Comment

Originally posted by mikek3 View Post
                wow what a cool mount for your band saw rig. I would like to create one of those one day.
                Thanks.
                It is a very worthwhile item to make because you can use the portable saw as a small table top metal cutting band saw. Of course it will also cut wood.
                I did another short video of the stand and saw showing it cutting a piece of metal and displaying a couple of views that I failed to show in the other video............pg
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LH43dshkY_U

Last edited by piniongear; 11-11-2011, 06:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

That is a nice Band Saw stand!! very nice..... Be gone Hack Saw............

Comment

How'd you get Johnny Cash to narrate your video

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                      How'd you get Johnny Cash to narrate your video

Yes I know I have a Texas drawl.
                      I certainly wish I didn't, but there is little I can do to change it.
                      I really hate listening to myself on a video, but that is the way it is.
                      pg

Comment

Ain't a thang wrong with that drawl, podna...

Comment

Originally posted by piniongear View Post

Yes I know I have a Texas drawl.
                          I certainly wish I didn't, but there is little I can do to change it.
                          I really hate listening to myself on a video, but that is the way it is.
                          pg
                          Sounds good to me- I love the various drawls, accents, we have in this country

and the stand is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                            Sounds good to me- I love the various drawls, accents, we have in this country

and the stand is great.
                            Thanks Broc.
                            I really appreciate your interest and reading your comments, here and elsewhere on the forum.
                            You always say much with a single sentence, most times.
                            pg

Comment

Great job! This would be really useful for making small parts and for detailed work.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.