X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarsman
    started a topic My first "big" project

My first "big" project

I am pretty much a self taught neccessity-turned-hobby welder. Started out with an old Lincoln buzz box and a can of 6011/6013 rods doing repair/fabbing on old equipment growing up on a ranch. Done all kinds of stuff, but this is my first "big" project to make a refined finished product.

I wanted a full size roof rack for our Hummer H2. We goo off roading and camping with it, and we are a family of 6 with a 100 lb Lab, so we have lots of gear.

After looking at the industry standard, Gobi racks, I decided I did not want to spend $2500 on a roof rack, so I decided to try and make my own. I thought about many different options, and chose to go with square tubing instead of round. I think it suits the truck better, since the Hummer is a very square, angular design. It took about 6 months of working mornings before work and weekends.

Oh yeah! I used a Hobart Handler 140 with gas.

Warning! Lots of pictures!

I built a quick jig for assembling the corners. It worked well, as the frame came out dead on square. Here is the corner jig in action:

Here is the last corner going together:

Last edited by Scarsman; 10-19-2011, 08:58 PM.

• WickedWelding
    replied
    Looks great man! Maybe a expanded metal sunroof guard would top it off that way if you go wheeling in the woods and your light guard bar knocks a branch loose it won't come down and smash out your sunroof

Leave a comment:

• 1930case
    replied
    A G.I. ammo can trick is to put hasps or U-bolts thru the center slot on the lid-securing flaps (or make a centered slot as required) and padlock them. One padlock is enough to keep the lid from ejecting if you forget to latch it.

Large padlocked ammo cans are used for controlled broken tools and precious scrap in toolrooms, while small padlocked cans get a slot cut in the top for "coffee fund" drop boxes.

Thru-bolting to the bench to benchtops keeps the whole box from wandering off...

Leave a comment:

• HWMRob
    replied
    Great work - really neat build and welding.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Truly a custom rack. You put a lot of thought into this project and designed and built it to suit YOUR needs. Well worth whatever it may have cost you even if it did exceed the 2,500.00 price tag of a factory built rack. Everything about your build is first rate!

I especially enjoyed the photos showing the build, they were clear and you could actually tell what was going on in them.

I can say only one thing about your project.... WELL DONE!!!

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    I looked at a few pics and have to say nice job I'm what you might call a professional and that it of top quality from what I looked at.

Leave a comment:

• Scarsman
    replied
    Thanks guys! A brush guard is next on the list. I am hoping to have time for that this winter. I am getting ready to start another rack right now for a friend with an H3.

Leave a comment:

• Bistineau
    replied
    You did a real fine job with the design and build on this project, really compliments the Rig you got. Especially the added touch on the mounting brackets. Now you might want to consider building a matching brush guard for the front to protect the grill during off road excursions.

Leave a comment:

• Daniel
    replied
    Awesome looking rack, nice job.
    Dont forget to post your other projects.
    Thanks for sharing

Leave a comment:

• Scarsman
    replied
    I will look at my records and see where I got the latches from.

The mounting brackets I had done at a local machine shop that has a water jet cutter. I made an image of the emblem the size I needed, and they scanned it into the machine.

This is where I found the latches:

http://www.southco.com/
    Last edited by Scarsman; 10-20-2011, 06:17 PM. Reason: Add link

Leave a comment:

• nocheepgas
    replied
    Job well done! The mounting tabs with the Hummer Logo, did you make them? How? Or where did you find them?

Leave a comment:

• dkennett
    replied
    Nice, where did you find the rotary clamps?

I was a little concerned about the weight you were building in until I noticed you had a backhoe.

You might consider welding a safety chain connecting the lid to the can inside the front edge of the ammo boxes.

I would appreciate it if you would let me know where you finally found the ammo box latches.

Seriously, great job, it matches the character of the hummer perfectly and they sure need the extra space which is what I like most about my Land Cruiser.

Leave a comment:

• Hydro
    replied
    Dang, for a first big project you sure made it look easy! Great job.

Leave a comment:

• Scarsman
    replied
    Thanks for the comments. I really enjoyed the build, even though it took me longer than I had planned.

As for the opening of the boxes, the lids actually latch on both ends and come completely off. They don't hinge open. I thought about trying to make them hinge, but decided it would be too much work for not enough gain.

Leave a comment:

• Doughboyracer
    replied
    Just one tip to add to a GREAT job...

...the amo box should open the other way...you will find out why sometime down the road, maybe the first time it is left unlached.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X