Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repair of Cracked Chute on Branch Chipper

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair of Cracked Chute on Branch Chipper

My most recent project was to repair a wood chipper. The chipper had two chutes; one for leaves and finger sized twigs and the other for branches. The problem was the branch chute. When people feed branches in the chute and the branches get hung up, they tend to apply a back and forth motion to the branch to get it to feed into the chute of the chipper. This in turn applies a moment to the branch chute, which caused the recent failure. In this case the failure was cracking located on the top and both sides of chute at the flange where the chute attaches to the chipper base. As expected the cracks were in the heat affected zone next to the welds. I would have liked to add angle iron to the sides of the chute to beef it up, but I didn’t have enough time because my customer needed it for a church clean up. The original chute lasted about 10 years and I would expect that the repair will last as long even without the side angle iron, but I do expect it to eventually fail. In picture 4 you can see the penetration on the back side of the weld.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Don52; 10-18-2011, 05:43 AM. Reason: Made font larger.

Looks good here. They should have reinforced those areas before it left the factory. Should last your lifetime!

Comment

Picture 4 is a back penetration. This was done with mig right?
      Nice repair

Comment

All of the welds were done with TIG. I only welded the outside of the chute. Picture 4 is what penetrated thru the crack from the TIG weld on the outside.

Comment

Looks like the original weld was cold. Looks like there might have been a notch at the edge of the bead, and that's what started the crack.

Comment

Attached is a close up picture taken before welding of one portion of the crack.
            This picture corresponds to the right side of the reinforcement tab on the top of the chute, which is shown after welding in picture 2.
            It does look like a cold lap on the left side.
            Picture 8 is another close up of the crack on the top.
            What do you think?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Don52; 10-18-2011, 03:29 PM. Reason: Added Picture 8

Comment

It wasn't nuclear grade or meant to last forever, no one wants to pay for it, Crap happens, likely the repair will outlast the rest of the machine.

Comment

Now you're going to have up close pictures of your crack all over the internet

Comment

I learned a little bit and enjoyed your comments.

Thanks,
                  Don

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.