No announcement yet.

Flashback arrestors, what to use.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK then you take an lp tank run it down very low (5psi) open the valve and light it.....stand there and call me when the flame goes out.....it will burn into the tank and yes it will go boom............so explain to me what you use and why......so that we can all learn.....I'm not saying my way is the best / only way to do it but I feel better with my set up and it works just fine for me.
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Comment

I think where the most prevalent danger is, when you shut the torches down and you have a small leak somewhere along the line. The gas in you're system will try to equalize with the outside atmosphere and at some point you can end up with a volatile mix in the system. You could get flammable gas exiting a leak on the flammable side and entering a leak on the oxygen side in its attempt to equalize and therefore both sides could become volatile.One place this can happen is at the torch valves, if both are faulty. The safety valves will help contain a hazardous situation to to the area between the safety valves. In other words, the gages,hoses, and torch are all separated.
      I don't believe it is recommended to use safety valves at the regulator and torch just so they can sell unnecessary equipment.
      It is true though that the tank itself can't burn internally without fuel and oxygen and since they are always under pressure, the volatile mix would have to be present when the tank is filled.
      To all who contribute to this board.
      My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
      Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
      Miller Syncrowave 250
      Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Uhmmmmmm, I wouldn't argue with fishy. He can make a bandsaw out of old volkswagon wheels in his parents basement (or he's at least a couple of years into the process) so it is pretty obvious that his intellect is far superior than anyone here.
        Dynasty 350DX
        Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
        MM 350P
        MM Passport Plus
        Spectrum 375 Extreme
        08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Better watchout, he'll get ya banned!!!!

Comment

So FJ,
            are you saying that there is no need for flashback arresters?
            That's kind of what it sounds like.

As for me, but I'm a dumb hack so don't take me too serious, I do have arresters at the regulators and the torch..
            Better safe than sorry, I enjoy life with all my body parts
            Jeff

Comment

Backup...

I think the biggest danger aside from the obvious is one gas backing up into the other line like if the tip was clogged and both valves were open. Check valves in the torch should at least prevent that.
              John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
              MM 175
              Maxstar 150 STL
              Blue Star 185 DX
              Spectrum 375

Comment

Fishy....how /why is i that you want to run your mouth but when asked a question relevant to the topic you have nothing to say ?
                HH210 with SG

Comment

Where was I asked a question that hasn't been answered?
                  Syncrowave 250DX
                  Invison 354MP
                  XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                  Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                  Smith O/A rig
                  And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Originally posted by 84ZMike View Post
                    ............so explain to me what you use and why......so that we can all learn.....I'm not saying my way is the best / only way to do it but I feel better with my set up and it works just fine for me.
                    Post # 16.... after reading it I see how you could have passed it over....so what do you use and why?
                    HH210 with SG

Comment

I have arrestors on one of my torches and none on the other.

Why? Cause they came with one and not with the other.

Why not use them? Because there's nothing that could happen if you had a flashback short of maybe blowing out a hose. I've never had that happen, and I rarely use the O/A rig anymore anyway.

If they were so necessary, they'd be built into the torch body and it would be required by the feds.

Smith doesn't even say they're needed:
                      http://enet.smithequipment.com/public/docs/BDBinDoc.asp?ID={ED220DF6-8247-4F50-BE48-24855652BF12**&DownLoad=0
                      Syncrowave 250DX
                      Invison 354MP
                      XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                      Smith O/A rig
                      And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Read this.

http://www.msha.gov/stakeholderbp/be...nacetylene.pdf
                        In my world, if MHSA says it then that is the end of the debate.

FWIW, Smith has an internal flashback arrestor in the head.
                        Jeff

Comment

If MSHA says it, then OSHA does as well...birds of a feather and all the rot.

I have seen acet regs that went boom, too. Nasty little grenade going off there.
                          Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                          '06 12RC feeder
                          Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                          Esab Multimaster 260
                          Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Working...
                          X