Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

railing jig bench/table

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• railing jig bench/table

Anyone got some pics of there railing fab jig.Ibeen building mine on the floor and its getting old real fast.What i do is lay out the staircase in marker on the shop floor and build off of that. Typ. riser being 7" steps being 12" railing finish ht. any where from 34"-38".Spacing on 1/2"sq. pickets being 3-1/2".Using 1"x3/16" flat top and bottom of pickets then Cap. moulding. Ideas or suggestions for a better way????

Whenever I do railing, I figure out the spacing I need and grab a couple of pieces of aluminum angle iron. I place them back to back and cut grooves for the pickets in them with my mill (but other suitable means are obtainable). One piece serves as the top template, the other for the bottom. I usually do 5 grooves. I'll clamp the angle to the base and top and lay my pickets into the grooves. After the first 5 pickets are tacked in place I move the template over to the last picket and can then add 4 at a time from there.
    Hope that helps.

Comment

Not built yet

Was planning to build a rotating jig on top of my saw horses. Vertical tabs to clamp the top and bottom rails parallel. Then use a spacer jig like above for pickets. Can adjust the height of the pickets using a horizontal strap. Rotation let's you weld both top and bottom rail in flat position. Not used it for the railing I want to build for my house, but we have built quite a few 24 foot cattle panels on something similar.

Comment

Not built yet

Was planning to build a rotating jig on top of my saw horses. Vertical tabs to clamp the top and bottom rails parallel. Then use a spacer jig like above for pickets. Can adjust the height of the pickets using a horizontal strap. Rotation let's you weld both top and bottom rail in flat position. Not used it for the railing I want to build for my house, but we have built quite a few 24 foot cattle panels on something similar.

Comment

I built two "saw horses" then simply placed two 6x9 "I" beams perpendicular to the horses. My horses are 10ft my beams are 20ft. works really well for gates, hand rails, fence panels. I do all kinds of odd ball jobs... I even have two 10ft beams that i clamp to my trailer for onsite fab.

Comment

Originally posted by ddfarmboy View Post
            when you built that jig i'd like to see a pic

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.