Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring

Just a tidbit of information for those who find themselves setting their amps higher than normal to weld heavy material. I always knew part of this but finally had it confirmed by an electrician.

My welding receptacle at work that my Thunderbolt XL 300/200 DC/AC is plugged into is running on a 3 phase, 30 amp breaker with #10-3 with ground. The way the conduit runs make the outlet about 175' away from the panel box. The electrician told me the conduit is most likely getting warm when I am welding and Im pulling 26 amps. I am having him rewire everything along with making another drop in the middle of the shop, this time using #8-3 with a 40 amp breaker, if I go any heavier, then he needs to change the conduit. This building was only built in 95 so somebody was not thinking when these plans were drawn up for the wiring. I cant wait to feel the difference.
Working...
X
Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.