Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black pipe

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black pipe

Can you weld to black gas pipe (new from home depot) as you would steel and it still be strong?? I need a small round pipe and the black gas line at home depot is cheap and I can buy in small quantities.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Architect-1

Black pipe is steel pipe. Sometimes has a lacquer coating...grind to bare metal and have at it.

Comment

Black pipe

Thanks! Headed there now! I'm assuming that the fumes are not potentially deadly like welding galvanized steel???Welding is my new favorite hobby!Architect-1

Comment

More or less benign, probably no more deadly than the average mill lubricant applied at the manufacturer. Like I said before, grind to bare metal and have at it. Its good idea for proper welding prep on any metal so you have proper ground contact and reduce/eliminate the inclusion of any contaminant in the weld metal itself. I'm unsure as to whether this is a one-off project or if you're just getting your feet wet with the welding, but find yourself a steel or scrap yard locally and get to be friends with them. Doing so will bring down the cost substantially.

Comment

Beginner

Yeah, i'm a beginner, but that's where we all start! I've conquered woodworking, Now on to welding. I took a class to learn the "right" way and I practice every chance I get. Beats the heck out of sitting in the office everyday. Thanks for the feedback. I established an account with SSS steel here locally. They have really cheap steel but in large minimum amounts. Architect-1

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.