Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma Gouger

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma Gouger

Hi,
    I am new to this forum and I need some advice. We have a plasma gouger thermo dynamics. We are having problems and are at our wits end. I am needing to find out if you have any ideas of what direction to take, wether we should get this one fixed or just buy a new one. This is obsolete and very expensive to replace. The problem we are having is that the tip saver board has two 1n4007 diodes that keep blowing and we just can't find anything shorted that would cause this to happen. I would appreciate any advise you could give me and thanks very much for your help!!!!
    Darla

Those are small diodes, 1 amp at 1000 PIV. They're likely the rectifier for the control circuit. Sorry, but I don't have any experience with your machine. Most anything going bad in the control circuit could cause these to blow out, and the current is so low that you won't likely be able to see a component that the magic smoke has been let out of. Only someone with the schematics and good trouble shooting capability will be able to find this problem. Unless you can find evidence of magic smoke or a broken wire connection it's very difficult to fix circuits like this on your own.

Thermo Dynamics has good customer service. Have you called them? They may be able to diagnose the problem over the phone, or at least tell you who in your area could fix them.

Charley

Comment

Working...
    X
    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.