Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

first TIG project

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first TIG project

Hi everyone,

I finally got round to getting my TIG setup running, and after a while of tinkering and getting used to tigging again, I made my first piece with it this week. it's a smaller version of the last outdoor table I made, to be used as a drinks table or a bench for sitting on.

i got a little bit impatient in the finishing and dressing stage unfortunately, and the areas where the legs join the frame could be a bit tidier (there's some undercut and gouging in the blended areas that i'd have preferred to avoid) but all in all it came out much better than the first table in terms of squareness and dimensional accuracy.

some pics:

Stainless? Or did you brush finish carbon steel, then lacquered it after welding/buffing?

Nice miter joints. I cannot see the welds.

Comment

thanks Keith,

it's 38mmx38mmx1.6mm wall thickness 316 stainless square tubing, dimensions 480w x 480l x 450h mm

Comment

Dang! That's nice!!

Comment

what saw made those cuts?

Comment

the tubing was cut with a standard 6x4 horizontal bandsaw, they are not compound mitres though the top frame is mitered and the legs just butted on below, but i brush finished after blending all the welds to give the compound mitre effect

cheers
            corgan

Comment

Being self-taught, I see new techniques every so often that really catch my eye. I had never seen a joint like that. Eventhough yours is just an illusion, I suppose you could make a cut like that with a ubber minimal seam for a TIG weld. I've got the table, fixtures and welder to do a joint like that but not the saw. I'm hopeful I can swing a new Scotchman cold saw before the end of the year.

Your furniture is beautiful. You could sell the sh*t out of those as a poolside set if you built a complimentary lounge chair. Excellent excellent work!

Comment

You can make compound mitres on 4x6, it's acually not that hard. Set the fence to 45 degrees, and put your tubing in a V-block. As long as the back of the V-block is flush with the fence you should be okay.

Also, if you don't have a V-block, I've made due with a piece of angle iron with a piece of flat bar welded to the back. You just have to make sure it's good and straight.

Later,
                Kev

Comment

Very Very nice work

Comment

Very Nice!
                    Could you or would you please post a pic of your finishing tools and material?
                    Thanks

Comment

thanks gents, and no worries WGB- but it won't be very impressive, just a handful of different abrasives, a drill and an angle grinder (and some beer, but more on that later)

i level most of the welds with a 40 grit flap disc, then follow up with 80 grit --> 120 grit fiber sanding discs in an angle grinder to blend them out (i try not to hit the base metal with the 40 grit so really only do a couple of light passes over the welds to remove most of the stock

next are some non-woven abrasive discs that back onto a hook and loop pad on the same angle grinder, one in medium and one in fine to remove the grind lines from the fiber discs

next is a surface conditioning wheel that chucks into a drill (i use these ones http://www.pferdusa.com/products/204...204p0101P.html - if links are not allowed, please remove and accept my apologies) in 2 grades, 100 and 180.

to get the mitered polishing effect i run the surface conditioning wheels one way, to set the grind line on one side of the corner, then mask off the middle line with a thin bit of aluminium from a cut up beer can clamped in place. then i run the wheels over the other side of the corner and over the clamped beer can so it creates the mitered polish effect

i will post some pics of the various abrasives and an example of the beer can thing later on if you'd still like- but am currently at work

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.