Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need information regarding Weldability of steel castings

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need information regarding Weldability of steel castings

steel castings with 0.25% C max ,Mn 1.2 Max,Tensile strength 75Mpa,Mig or FCAW.Need information regarding preheating, any problems which may occur.etc

Can't help you with mig or FCG mig but i just did a welding test on 1" thick plates with 7018...Bob

Comment

No problem with any of the two system along with a little pre and post heat.

Comment

The only need for preheat is thickness. If you are using any fluid process (GTAW, FCAW, SMAW, GMAW etc), the welds are essentially, castings themselves.

The only difference between steel castings and wrought steel (rolling, forging etc) is a bit of silicon, manganese or other non-deleterious to welding additions. Base metal may have greater fluidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith_J View Post
          The only need for preheat is thickness. If you are using any fluid process (GTAW, FCAW, SMAW, GMAW etc), the welds are essentially, castings themselves.

The only difference between steel castings and wrought steel (rolling, forging etc) is a bit of silicon, manganese or other non-deleterious to welding additions. Base metal may have greater fluidity.
          I have to tell you that wrought steel does not really exist. There is wrought iron, which is really rare these days.

And weldments cant really cast themselfs.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
            I have to tell you that wrought steel does not really exist.
            Not sure I agree

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
              I have to tell you that wrought steel does not really exist. There is wrought iron, which is really rare these days.

And weldments cant really cast themselfs.
              Any steel form which is substantially mechanically worked (rolled, forged, drawn or otherwise plastically deformed to attain shape and structure) is termed wrought.

What we know as cast iron is iron with very high carbon content. Very low carbon steels are in fact, iron but are termed steel to differentiate from cast iron parts.

Cast iron is highly fluid from the 3%+ carbon which when the casting solidifies, comes out of solution, forming structures which can be brittle (white and gray cast iron). When this carbon is burned out in the basic oxygen furnace, these brittle structures cannot form. Yes, special treatment of cast iron both in the ladle and post-casting can offset these brittle structures. For example, one structure in gray cast iron is graphite flakes which when treated, turn into spheres that resist fracture.

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                Not sure I agree
                You should. wrought iron yes. but wrought steel term not really.

Comment

Keith J, white cast iron is simply grey cast iron cooled more rapidely, because of this rapid cooling the carbon does not separate from the iron. which result in a cementite composite, very hard and brittle. not really weldable in it's original state.
                  white cast iron is widely used on crusher jaws, balls and liners for ball mills and lathe beds.

It is always a good idea to preheat and post heat any cast piece, as usually they have machined surfaces that has to meet some measuring tolerance, by preheating and postheating a welder highly reduce the chance of warping and residual stress, keeping the part welded as close to the original state.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.