Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gearbox Tube Bender

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox Tube Bender

I was looking for some of you more experienced guys opinion. I am a machinist for a papermill and it's hard to believe some of the things these big companys throw out. I have a couple of right angle gearboxes ranging from 5 to 1 ratio, 60 to 1 ratio, and 100 to 1 ratio. I was wondering if you guys think I could make an adapter for the low speed side of one of these gearboxes to mount a tube die and shoe and run the high speed side with a H.D. 1/2" drive drill to bend tubing with. I asked one of our mechanical engineers this question and he thought it would work. I thought about trying the 60-1 ratio gearbox, which I got for $5 scrap price. The only thing that was wrong with it was the keyway in one of the two low speed shafts was worn, I'll just use the other shaft. Just wondering if anyone has tried something similar to this.

I use a 60:1 to power my slip rolls, scroller and a small 3 wheel roll. It works perfect with a 3/4 hp motor, just the right speed...Bob
    Attached Files

Comment

gearbox tube bender

Thanks aametalmaster great pics, now you have the wheels turning in my head. I see these gearboxes at work running things 24/7/365 that I wouldn't think they would run. I am making a parts list in my head as I am writting this.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
        I use a 60:1 to power my slip rolls, scroller and a small 3 wheel roll. It works perfect with a 3/4 hp motor, just the right speed...Bob
        Bob , is that reversible?

Comment

Yes it is. For and rev thru the drum switch...Bob

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.