Dog Kennel project help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monte55
    I appreciate your view. I am not saying my view is the only way. My dogs ( 3 Chows) are my pets and I would not put them in an enviroment that I would not be comfortable in. They have a large fenced yard, access to the house and everywhere in between plus get to go for walks outside the boundries and are glad to get back. They have no job other than to have fun and show their affection. My dogs don't really fetch either although I think it would be cool if they did. They feed off us by the love and affection we give them. I have no reason to own a pet and have it any other way. You say hunting dogs only think "hunt". Maybe....if that's all they're allowed to do. Even lions sleep, play, and just goof off if given the chance. Not everyone understands the needs of a dog. I love my dogs and they know it. Some like
    their dogs and never really understand the dogs needs.....just their own. If you haven't guessed yet..........I also don't hunt. There is no reason for me to kill an animal other than to protect myself if necessary. These are my thoughts and views and in no way is it intended to start a war. I value all input but name calling by some can be left at the door. When some say they care........I ask how much................
    Nick

Hey not everone's cut out to hunt and kill where I come from its a way of life even down to are own beef. I do understand your thoughts on the K-9's. Me and the little girl just got back from bottle feeding her calf and turned all the pups loose they do like just acting crazy and playing til they got after momma's cats. probaly won't see them out of thier houses tonight after the hollering she did. I agree no place for name calling, Take care, William

Comment

There is no reason for me to kill an animal other than to protect myself if necessary.
      Nick
      Are you a Vegan?
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

WOW! I didn't know I was raising such a controversial topic!

First, I don't imprison my dogs any more than anyone who ever placed their child in a car seat for a long trip across country. "I can't believe anyone would ever imprison their child who deserves to be free. Maybe we shouldn't put a newborn in a crib (jail)." Sounds like many people are not too consistent and value their pets above their own children.

Second, my dogs do serve me and my hobbies and I'm ok with that. They probably have a better life than most people in this country, and certainly in this world. They live in a climate control building with the option to go out to the runs. They are exercised everyday - probably more than you.

Third, if my hunting dogs where as worthless as your dogs, I may not keep them in a safe environment. I don't let my young children run around the yard and maybe run into the street, nor do I let my dogs. The street isn't the only danger a dog can get into. If you are willing to pay $3000-$10,000 for everyone of my dogs that gets hurt by free running, then I would tell you that you don't deserve to ever own a dog.

Fourth, dogs ain't humans! They don't love you!!!! They really could care less about you, your family, or anyone else. They do what they do to please themselves. If you died and stopped feeding them, they would eat your sorry body to stay alive.

Now to the kennel project -

Thanks for all those have helped and given some ideas. I need to come up with a good latch system. Any ideas? Also, with the square tubing, do I need to worry about it collecting water and freezing in the winter. I had a horse trailer that had water trapped in the tubing frame and split out when it froze. I guess if my welds are good, water won't penetrate. Should I drill a small hole at the bottom of each vertical to drain them?

Thanks again!

Nitrex

Comment

Nitrex,
          You could drill a drain hole in the bottom or just leave them open. Is this going to set on concrete or dirt? As for the latch, keep it simple. If you would like I could sketch out what I did with mine.

jrw159
          ASW CWI / ASNT ACCP II / CWB Welding Inspector / CWB Welding Supervisor / PT Level II / MT Level II

Comment

Dog Pens

Nitrex
            I build mine using 1 x 2 tubing. Gives ya a little more meat to weld the panels on. Most of mine are 8' x 16', and 1+ panels tall(6'). The 16' panels have 1 brace in the middle, top to bottom.
            For a nice compact kennel, make 1 16' panel with 2 gates(1 on each end) and 4 plain 16' panels.....3 for the outside, 1 for the middle divider.........BAM..... 2 8'x16' runs. Prime...Paint...Enjoy!!!!

Not gonna get into the pissin' match.........but in my world, momma don't want 20 "Pointer rockets" flyin thru the house!!!!

Later,
            hogndog

Comment

jrw159 - I would appreciate a drawing of your latch system. Thanks!

I am pouring a concrete slab to put the kennels on. It will have good slope with a septic system to keep it nice.

Right now I have planned to run the top tube the full 16'. The side tubes would run just inside the ends of the top tube and would become "legs." I would run a bottom tube about 2 inches above the floor to allow for debris to be hosed off easily. I am going to put in one center support. Do I need a horizontal tube going the 16' for structural strength?

Another question, I have only been able to find 60" tall horse panels. Do you guys know of a supply of 72" x 16' panels?

Thanks,

John

P.S. Dogs do not have emotional feelings! The Walt Disney dogs exist only in the movies. We have B.F. Skinner dogs!!! If you are unsure of who Skinner was - you have been lied to and need to start learning a few things before you write on these forums. Also, I asked about how to build a kennel - I really could care less what you think about my dogs living in a 6' x 16' kennel. So if you don't mind - stick to the topic!

Comment

Nitrex,
                Actually, I can do better than a hand drawn sketch. I found a good likeness of it. It is basically the same as the Priefert latch, of course not as fancy. Here is a link to the picture. It just slides up and down. If I remember correctly I used a short piece of 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 for the outside sleeve over the 1 x 1.

http://www.priefert.com/products/Pre...-Grade_221/73#

Seeing as how you are putting it on concrete and elevating it, I would just leave the bottoms open for clear drainage of any condensation that may accumulate inside the tubing, but capped and drain hole will work just as well.

As for the horse panel size, I have only seen 60". I will ask round and see if some of the people I know in the farm and ranch business know of anything else.

jrw159
                ASW CWI / ASNT ACCP II / CWB Welding Inspector / CWB Welding Supervisor / PT Level II / MT Level II

Comment

Happiness, excitement, fear, intimidation, anger and saddness are emotions and dogs exibit this. You obviously don't know as much about your animals as you think.

I'm pretty sure Skinner was a singer as in Leonard Now......put that in your smoke and pipe it.
                  Nick
                  Miller 252 Mig
                  Miller Cricket XL
                  Millermatic 150 Mig
                  Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                  2-O/A outfits
                  Jet Lathe and Mill
                  Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                  DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                  Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                  20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                  Propane Forge
                  60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                  Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                  and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                    Happiness, excitement, fear, intimidation, anger and saddness are emotions and dogs exibit this. You obviously don't know as much about your animals as you think.

I'm pretty sure Skinner was a singer as in Leonard Now......put that in your smoke and pipe it.
                    Actually it is spelled "lynard skynard." I guess not everyone can be as intelligent as I!!!!!

Nitrex

P.S. I don't smoke as I love my dogs too much - 2nd hand smoke can kill!!!!
                    Last edited by nitrex; 05-15-2009, 02:13 PM.

Comment

jrw159 & reggie - thanks for the ideas!!! I like those Preifert latches. I'll see if I can replicate something similar.

Nitrex

Comment

I guess you are not up on all the posts
                        Nick
                        Miller 252 Mig
                        Miller Cricket XL
                        Millermatic 150 Mig
                        2-O/A outfits
                        Jet Lathe and Mill
                        Propane Forge

Comment

I am a member of about 7 forums and after scanning them its takes a while to get back to this site. If you think I'm sitting waiting for words of wisdom from you........you're wrong. Don't get me wrong............sometimes dog runs
                          are necessary for temporary confinement, such as breeding, transporting, and animals that can't be intoduced to the proper welfare of other animals or humans.
                          My complaint is to confine an active animal to such a small area to live its life
                          only to serve the whims of the owner for his selfish sporting events. Can you hear me now?
                          Ed Conley
                          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                          MM252
                          MM211
                          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                          TA185
                          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                          O/A set
                          SO 2020 Bender
                          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                            That's great. Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Nick
                            Miller 252 Mig
                            Miller Cricket XL
                            Millermatic 150 Mig
                            2-O/A outfits
                            Jet Lathe and Mill
                            Propane Forge

Comment

I am a member of about 7 forums and after scanning them its takes a while to get back to this site. If you think I'm sitting waiting for words of wisdom from you........you're wrong. Don't get me wrong............sometimes dog runs
                              are necessary for temporary confinement, such as breeding, transporting, and animals that can't be intoduced to the proper welfare of other animals or humans.
                              My complaint is to confine an active animal to such a small area to live its life
                              only to serve the whims of the owner for his selfish sporting events. Can you hear me now?

Monte - I have never once said that my dogs live in the kennels everyday all day. Actually, they spend much of their time in my home with my family. In your first post you assumed that they were confined in the kennels all their lives. I would be ok if they did spend much of there time in runs, but once again you show your bias against sporting events. Have you ever been to a good bird dog kennel/trainer? Have you ever watched a bird dog enjoy hunting - what it was bred to do? Do your dogs get to do whatever they desire whenever they desire? If not, they are only there to serve the whims of their owner for his selfish desires. Sounds like we have a hypocrite here!!!!

Nitrex

Nitrex

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                                I don't post here very often, but your OT remarks and ramblings have ruined what could be a good thread.

This is just a load of PETA Anthropomorphism babble.

To get your mind of this barbaric imprisonment of other people's dogs, go take your pack for a walk. They need loving. You are kind of spreading your LOVE thin over the THREE dogs that you have. Your domesticated WILD animals are probably stressed living in your human environment. They would I am sure enjoy some quality time with you.

Let's get back to the kennels.
                                Last edited by rancherbill; 05-15-2009, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X