Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

need some expertise on makeing a shop drain grate.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some expertise on makeing a shop drain grate.

like the title says, I built a new garage/shop, i put a drain in the floor near one of the big bay doors. the drain is 8' long by 14 1/2 " wide. the ledge around the hole is 1 1/2 high by a 1 1/2 wide. I'm unsure how to build this grate, there is going to be a fair amount of weight driving over it petty often, and i can't have sharp edges that could possibly pop tires. Sorry the ic isn't the best but its all i got ATM.

Name:  4adc23febacdfdccaf57c9f89b59178f.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  42.6 KB

You should be able to order some pre-fabbed bar grating with a load rating you want, but you can always fab something up yourself.

Comment

half the fun is making something up yourself. Just looking for a general idea on where to start. I was thinking some 1 1/2 angle iron for around the edges. then run some 1/4 " x 1 1/2 flat bar arcoss straight up and down, so when you are looking down you would just see the 1/4". DOes this make sense?

Comment

Buy a piece of bar grating & be done with it.

Comment

do what the last guy said. i use a co. named mcnichols; not saying you should use them but their online cat will give you load specs for all kinds of gratings.

i wonder if there was ever a time in my working life that i thought making grating would be fun. maybe, but i must have been a long time ago; nowadays the first thing i do is think where i can buy it and then mark it up a bit.

Comment

if you really want to...

self-inflict yourself with a tedious job, well you can use high grade threaded rods, make 3 holes per 13 1/2 flat bar (100,125,150 + of those???) use 3 nuts per bars as spacers and repeat ad nauseam... about 400-500 holes and nuts...

i would definitely follow the "senior's" advice...and buy galvanized flo-forge or grouting or re-bar whatever the proper name is in your area

Comment

how about some 1.5 by .5 in flat bar on the long sides with a ton of 1 in rounds running across and sitting on the flat bar IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII like that kinda

Comment

Originally posted by mini-number1 View Post
                how about some 1.5 by .5 in flat bar on the long sides with a ton of 1 in rounds running across and sitting on the flat bar IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII like that kinda
                That's called Bar Grating, it can be purchased ready made or you can chose the tedious task of cutting all those 14.5" pieces and trying to get them lined up and welded together with the round stock. Bar grating usually has 1" spacing between the bars, over an 8' span that comes out to almost 100 pieces. Like MMW said just buy a piece of bar grating and be done with it.
                If you are anywhere near my location, I have some 1.5" bar grating that I might could be talked out of, but you do not indicate your area.
                Last edited by Bistineau; 08-09-2011, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I did a google search before i made this thread, but came up short never knowing the name of the product. I'm going to look into purchasing one in my area. (ontario, canada) i gess ill spend my time on making a new work bench and all the other goodies im going to need to fill my new shop.

Cheers!!

Comment

this can be a place to start, they are in canada

http://www.fisherludlow.com/bar_11.html

Comment

hit_em,
                      One other point you should consider, but sounds like it is too late.
                      Around here, you would not be allowed to put a floor drain unless you capture, contain, and properly dispose all of the hazardous oil, solvents, etc. that can be in a shop. I'm sure in Canada, maybe you will only have snow melt or something you're trying to keep out of the shop, but just a thought for other's reading this post.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.