No announcement yet.

Steel strength question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the tabs are just to secure the wood to the tubing. The wood will be sitting on the tubing. I will be picking up the metal on monday, and hopefully my new digital elite helmet will be here early next week as well.

Comment

I started cutting the steel tonight. Going to get everything prepped, and laid out so I can start welding first thing Saturday morning. It was 108 degrees out there this evening. Pictures to come once I get something worth taking a picture of.

Comment

It is now mostly done. I need to weld on the tabs to secure the wood shelves, weld on some plate feet to make it easier to level, weld on the wall stand-offs, with lag bolt tabs to secure it to the wall so it won't tip, and then add some paint, before finally screwing down the wood.

In the last picture you can see the mess I am trying to organize. It will go in the spot where the 2 flimsy shelves are located, and what doesn't fit on this shelf, or have a spot on my future work bench or welding table, will find a home in someone else's home, or the dumpster.

At that point I will have enough space to work and not trip over extra truck parts, and christmas decorations.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0525.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	512013

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	512014

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	512015

Comment

Well that's one way to do it...

...but why the extra cutting and welding? Full length legs would have reduced your work a ton...and save yourself from more work but skipping the tabs and notch the wood. Secure it if you must with self tapping flat head 1/4" screws into the tubes. I would have (and did) use 2" x 2" x 1/8" angle for it all. that will hold anything I can lift up on it.
          MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
          Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
            ...but why the extra cutting and welding? Full length legs would have reduced your work a ton...and save yourself from more work but skipping the tabs and notch the wood. Secure it if you must with self tapping flat head 1/4" screws into the tubes. I would have (and did) use 2" x 2" x 1/8" angle for it all. that will hold anything I can lift up on it.
            By doing it this way the load of each shelf is supported directly by the leg section underneath. If he had made full length legs, the load of each shelf would have been supported by the welds themselves. The welds in this case just keeps everything lined up where it needs to be. He also gets more hood time to play with his new MM210.

Comment

That's a MM211 for those paying attention...

I do get it, but why waist so much time on one project when there are sooooo many that are available?
              Just For Home Projects.

Comment

To me it seemed easier to design it the way I did. Also I had no clue how much this thing would end up weighing. Once I got done putting the legs on the first shelf, I just weighed that section and multiplied it by 4. I have over 130 lbs of steel. Still light enough to move, but heavy enough to not worry about strength any more.

Comment

Another good idea for doing it that way...

You could put one size smaller tube stubs on the bottom of each "section" and make it expandable. The height of each section would be a bit taller buy itself but that would be minor...cheers and nice shelves. I will like to see it with the wood on it. (I am not trying to nit-pick your project, more giving others ideas about what they might do different.)
                  Just For Home Projects.

Comment

And, it's done

Well I finished it up last night. It fits perfectly in the hole I designed it for. See below for the final few pictures.

The first one is the test fit of the wood I cut. I got the wood for free, and might eventually replace it if needed in the future. It is fiberboard.

Name:	IMG_0536.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	512039
                    This is a picture after the first coat of paint. Safety blue just happened to be the cheapest.

Name:	IMG_0541.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	512040
                    This is the shelf in it's final resting place. It feels pretty stable and should be more stable the more weight I add down low. If I feel it isn't secure enough, I will weld on a standoff from the wall and secure it to the wall with some lag bolts.

Name:	IMG_0545.jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	512041
                    This is a shot of under the shelf of the tabs I welded in to hold the wood down. Not really needed, but I wanted to see how it was done. Also it keeps the wood from lifting off the shelf due to moisture in the atmosphere.

Name:	IMG_0546.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	512042
                    Thanks for all inputs, and those that followed the project. Up next is either my work bench or my welding cart, or both if I can figure out how to get full size tubes to my house. I drive a 12 foot truck and the tubes are 24 foot full length. Heck, I don't know if my garage is that big.

Comment

Working...
                    X