Drilling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tap Magic again

I just drilled 4 3/8" holes into 1" thick steel in 6 seconds each (after setup) using tap magic. I was afraid of going faster because steel started flying everywhere! I also drilled 4 1/4" holes into 3/4" steel rod in 10 seconds each.

Side note: The drill bits I was using were bought at ace hardware for $5 for the entire set! Not great bits! I used Pro Tap.

Grainger sells it. Check it out at http://www.steco.com

I didn't step up or down or sideways.

Good Luck!

Comment

Drilling SS

304 isn't the worst.
      I have a mill so thats were I would do it. Low spindle speed and lean on the feed. I use water soluble coolants in a mister. With a mill or very well clamped part in good drill press will save your drill bits. I have to drill all types of SS, inconel and some other great joys at work. Keep teh tool cool.

Comment

I have a 1/2" plate with a notch for the bit to fit through and it will clamp to a work piece with C clamps and do just fine. Also I have made a cut down Beam for using the mag drill as a drill press and it makes it a handy mobile drill press.

The mag drill is one of the simpliest and most usable with imagination it can be even a vertical boring machine, with care that is!

Comment

BIG thanks to everyone for all the useful information.

Decided to give this stuff a try
          Miller Syncrowave 200 TIG
          Miller Millermatic 252 MIG
          Harris Multistage O/A set
          Lincoln AC-225 SMAW

Comment

Let us know.

Let us know how it goes. I have never drilled stainless steel that thick and would love to know how it does.

Architect-1

Comment

What's the word

Rob tech, how did it go?? Were you able to cut the stainless steel? Did the tap magic help??Let us know.Architect-1

Comment

Actually went great!

The "Tap Magic" worked like a charm. Granted this thick of material is not going to be easy, but using all the tips I got here helped big time.

1. Tap Magic
                2. Slow speed
                3. Steady hard feed rate
                4. Sharp bits

Once you get those right, it makes it a whole lot easier. I think the main thing is the feed rate and speed. Once you get the bit to "bite" and your timing down, then your on your way.
                Lincoln AC-225 SMAW

Comment

So you can see how well that bit was "biting"

Stainless wire
                  Last edited by RobTech; 09-18-2011, 12:28 PM.
                  Lincoln AC-225 SMAW

Comment

Photos

How do you get those GREAT photos??? What type of camera do you use? Tripod? Border around with your name on it??

I need answers!!

Thanks!

Architect-1

Originally posted by RobTech View Post
                    So you can see how well that bit was "biting"

Stainless wire

Comment

I'd use a COLE DRILL with a good quality bit.
                      Would drill a pilot hole first.

Comment

Best Drill Bits

I have used Magnum drill bits for several years to drill through Magna steel and they preform the very best. The drill bit itself makes all the difference in the world. We have been purchasing them from Boltmax, they have great delivery and the very best prices I have found. Here's the link.

https://www.boltmax.com/products.php?cat=13

Comment

Ever heard of a hougan drill they are expensive and so are the bits but it pays for itsself time and time again, one bit for each size no pilot holes just layout punch and drill they are magnetic, u can drill with them upside down, and the best part MADE IN THE USA , try ohiopowertools.com

Comment

Working...
                          X