help needed urgently!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok will tell all how i get on

well todays the day and im absolutely bricking it and this is just the practice!!!!
    leaving in half an hour. will get back to u all soon
    thanx for the moral support. really nervous about this.
    hav a good day yourselves xxxxxxxx

Comment

good luck

Hope it goes well, always good to add to the knowledge in the noodle.
      try not to stress too much.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by Lasgambler View Post
        ...Back in the day, we had asbestos cloth and packing available, I made a index finger stub glove so I could run the root passes by placing index finger on work piece and not get to hot...
        Oh yea, in efforts to keep my hand from burning up I have sometimes used a piece of 1" pipe over a finger or extra fingers and bits of old gloves snipped off and layered on. Do whatever it takes to be comfortable!
        Cheers,
        Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Comment

Im Over The Moon!!!!

hi guys.

im just back from my training and wanted to tell u all my great news first!!

I HAD AN ACE DAY!!

goodness knows how i found the place i needed to be, i just guessed it after the motorway as the only directions i got was right at the round about, then look for TA building then left, left, left. got there in plenty time and was sitting in my car to hav a quick cigarette before i went in an started to feel queasy. think it was my nerves. was fine after meeting the guy who was going to train me though. he was very sympathetic and really knows what hes talking about. not boastful about his talents either.

he set up a 6" mild steel pipe in the 6g position then i told him to weld a little bit so i cld watch then try to copy it. UNBELIEVABLY my root went in perfect! (well on the back side anyway) the outside looked a bit ruff as it wasnt a fine fillet and it was too far out for my liking. my travel speed is too slow at the moment he says, but im putting the right amount of wire in and the edges are getting burnt no bother. im just not aiming into the root face enough and putting it more on the sidewall than i should be. he thinks ill get there tho.

the boss guy came over a couple of times an showed me a few things and said my welding is very neat which is good. they were supposed to close at 1 today but said before if im progressing well he wld let me stay longer which he did and he didnt charge me the full amount for a half days training either!! right nice guy and so helpful too. so much so, he said i can go back tomoro for a whole day when they dont even work a saturday!!

im so delighted with today, its given me some confidence and i might actually pass this test. but like my trainer said, its the time issue thats against me as the test is on tuesday. i am very inexperienced at this and i know it. my friends think im mad for giving myself such a challenge as i dont hav the hours on the job. im mabay aiming too high but al sure find out on tuesday!!

the gaffer on the job is from my neck of the woods and we hav been on another job together so he knows i dont hav experience. a good friend of mine called last nite saying he was speaking to him an he said not to worry or panic about a thing as i will be well looked after. ( theyve already got a girls toilet sorted out for me and ive not even started yet!!) its hard not to worry though when iv put myself in this position.

got to be my biggest challenge yet. will tell a story about my modeling days when i was in the shipyards another time, that was probably the most boldest thing ive ever done before this.

i am so keen to be a tig welder and be a very good one at that cos being ok is just not in my vocabulary! i need experience tho and hopefully this job will giv me the chance to get it.

also did a 2" mild steel pipe and the root was good with that too. not finished it yet tho. doing the stainless in position tomoro.

thankyou, all of u, for ur moral support on this issue. i am most greatful and speaking to u has helped me no end. cant talk to my friends about how im feeling cos they dont hav a clue what im talking about!!

best wishes lorraina
          Last edited by girly_welder; 02-01-2008, 02:03 PM.

Comment

glad to hear all went well.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

thanx fun4now

gonna get a hot shower and straight to bed so im fit for another sesh tomoro!

ma heids a bit mangled with all the advice i was given today.

hav a good night whatever ur up to xxx

here a wee joke i thought was funny...... no offence to the irish. its just banter.

paddy weighs 20st so his doctor puts him on a diet " i want u to eat regularly for 2 days then skip a day and repeat this for 2 weeks. u should lose 5lbs".
              when paddy returned he shocked the doctor by losing 4st. "thats amazing" the doc said.... paddy nodded...."il tell u be jesus, i taut i was gonna die by da third day!"
              "what from, hunger?" said the doc......"no from the fcukin skipping!!"

Comment

Ha Ha!! LMAO!!! he he.

gotta tell it to the wife and mom inlaw they'll love it. their as Irish as pattys pig
                traded the MM180 in for a MM212
                lots room here for more machines like, a Plasma cutter oooohh yeah!
                tinkerer with many talents,master of none

Comment

aye toecutter, its a good one i think....
                  well another nite of hardly any sleep. ****, i really want to pass this test. nvr been so nervous about one before!
                  woke up to snow this morning. WOO HOO!!!! will speak later and tell u how ma training goes today.
                  take care all. xxxx

Comment

Remember that the only limitations in life are the ones you put on yourself!
                    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Comment

hi guys.
                      im leaving today at two to go and do the test for tuesday dont no if i will get access to a computer to let u no my results but as soon as i do i will get back to u.

was training for 11 hours yesterday, flat out all day with just a ten minute break. hardly slept again the night before so was so tired. when i came home last nite, my dad asked how i got on and i burst out crying!! think it was with all the concentration all day and just trying so hard. am ok now tho.

the guy training me was absolutely amazing! he has helped me so much and stayed back 3 hours without pay just to help me. i cannot put into words how greatful i am.
                      he thinks i will pass. did the stainless 2" and the root is going in perfect. cld do with a little more wire in it tho. its so hard on the awkward side but im managing. just the cap isnt looking to good now but i think its because of the heat. not letting it cool enough.
                      will get back to u when i can

best wishes

lorraina.
                      thanx for everything everybody xxxxx

Comment

good luck ........................
                        Syncro250DX Tigrunner
                        Victor set
                        Elite auto-helmet
                        Dewalt Bench grinder
                        Mastercraft miter saw
                        Mac air tools
                        Mac hand tools
                        Toothbrush
                        pencil
                        toilet paper

Comment

Originally posted by girly_welder View Post
                          if i pass that means ill be good enough for the job (thats what the test is for) if i fail, i obviously need more practice. please help if you can xx
                          If you pass, it means you did it right just one time. On the job, you may be expected to do it right EVERY time. There's quite a difference, considering that when on the job, they won't have every weld in the best position, easy to get to, etc.

Keep in mind that if you fail and don't get the job, you may never get another shot at testing for them. If you get in welding brackets, it may allow you to get the time it takes to get good enough to take the pipe test.

Post up pics when you can!!

WHen I took my first pipe test, I cut the weld out with a porta-band. I still have it somewhere...or at least I hope I do. That's been about 20 years ago.

Comment

welding ss pipe in 6g

I'm currently just learning how to weld schedule 10 ss pipe. I dont believe anyone can pass a 6 g test or even a 1 g position without many hours of practice, and hands on supervision with a skilled instructor. thicker pipe is more forgiving but its still easy to burn up. welding carbon steel cant prepare someone for stainless. it's a whole new animal. when adjusting the heat instead of bumping up the amps 10 at a time. its best to go maybe 2 amps at a time to dial in the correct heat. then you may need to crank the argon up to 35 depending on the cup to keep the pipe cool. If you dont have a gas lens. i wouldn't even try. Basicly i'm more inclined to believe any ufo pictures you may have taken durring a vacation, then to even consider the posibility that someone can weld stainless in any position and pass a welding test. you better be fast walking the cup if you're welding hot, or the pipe is going to be black instead of gold. it takes a long time to learn how to walk the cup properly in a strait line with out long arcing or touching the pipe or filler rod with the tungsten. you can bet any pipe under preasure is going to be xrayed.

Comment

Tig Welding..........

Ok.............Listen...........Helic- Arc -welding is an ART.........ya don't learn it over night.........I sat on the bench for 3 years before I got some what good at listen to me 3 Years ...........again don't wanna burst ur bubble........... but if you haven't helic-arc much .....UR GOING ANYWHERE.........takes a ton of practice ........Kids a pro here.........don't waste your time to make ur self look bad..........my advice...........

Comment

How did you make out, hopefully you did ok.

Wheelchair

Comment

Working...
                                X