Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The growing weld

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The growing weld

I did a search and could not find anything so here is my question....
    I just bought a MM180 with auto set and love the thing, when i weld it will be fine but right at the end of the weld it starts to grow like some kind of mutant weld. When i grind the "mutant" weld its hollow inside so its kinda like a bubble.

All my metal is clean new metal, its not rusty or oily or anything...
    Thanks for any info everyone.
    Ken

oxygen contamination. could be wrong gun angle,not enough sheilding gas,too far out with nozzle.

Comment

What do you do?

When finishing your weld do you simply stop or do you back weave? If your bead run is good than your settings are probably good.

Comment

back weave? sorry i dont know what that is. and yes when i come to the end of my weld i do just stop. should i turn the gas up? im running at bout 20.
        ken

Comment

Are you talking Mig !!

If you don't keep the Mig bead moving when you stop there is a mutant bubble.

Comment

back'em up

back weave: when you get to the end of the bead, don't quit. Reverse direction and weld back over your bead about 1/2".

Comment

What they said..

If you just stop you're going to see this happen, I don't have to explain the back weave as Craig in Denver summed it up pretty good. In addition to your back weave, pull your gun away at the opposite direction with a flip of your wrist.

Hope this helped.

TacMig

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.