Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats your best method of cutting?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well..

Ruff cut stock> Baileigh cold saw.

Precision cut stock> Baileigh & Jet wet band saws.

Ruff cut sheet and flat stock> Victor & Smith O/A

Precision cut sheet and flat stock> Techni i35 waterjet & Esab plasma.

When I'm pissed> Ridgid chop saw.

Ruff cut top sirloin> Kmart butter knife.

Precision cut Prime Rib> J.A. Henckels.

Ruff cut cheese> Taco Bell.

Precision cut cheese> El Fiesta Monterey.

That's about it, if I think of more I'll let you know..

TacMig

Comment

I have all cutting equipment mentioned on this thread and 99% of the time i'll use plasma. It's fast ,clean,smooth, no chips or metal/abrasive dust.

Comment

Originally posted by KEENAVV View Post
        I have all cutting equipment mentioned on this thread and 99% of the time i'll use plasma. It's fast ,clean,smooth, no chips or metal/abrasive dust.
        I recently got my Hypertherm Plasma cutter and I am still experimenting with what to cut with it.

How one one go about cutting square/rd hollow tubing? I currently use my chop saw or my cutoff disk on 1/2" and below. The biggest stuff I work with is 2" with a wall thickness of about .125 +/- .25.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SavageSunJeep View Post
          I recently got my Hypertherm Plasma cutter and I am still experimenting with what to cut with it.

How one one go about cutting square/rd hollow tubing? I currently use my chop saw or my cutoff disk on 1/2" and below. The biggest stuff I work with is 2" with a wall thickness of about .125 +/- .25.

Thanks
          Mark all sides with a speed square and clamp a piece of angle iron scrap for a guide. Be sure to keep the torch at 90 to the cut even when you go around the 90.
          Last edited by KEENAVV; 02-16-2008, 12:26 AM.

Comment

What KEENAVV said, but chop saw or band saw probably quicker since you dont have to mark it all the way around.

Comment

Originally posted by KEENAVV View Post
              Mark all sides with a speed square and clamp a piece of scrap for a guide.
              Thanks on the marking all sides and cutting with my plasma.

I mostly do Chop saw, but then I have to dress the cut. Yes I have to dress the cut on the plasma but that rarely takes more than a few passes with the wheel to clean it up.

Now that I know its ok I will let the requirement of precision of fitment dictate the plasma/chop saw.

Thanks all

Comment

Method of cutting metal

Although applications vary I have over the past couple of years grown to love the metal cutting circular saw, I have found a lot of uses for it that I would have normally used other methods that take longer and require clean up afterwards. These saws are wonderful,I have two of them and wouldn't trade them for anything.
                Last edited by carweld; 02-18-2008, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.